VMware Cloud Community
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No Get-VM with Folder Permissions Only

Is it possible to do get-vm & power functions with a user that has a limited privileges role access at a VM & Templates folder only?  I seem to be only able to get it working if there's at-least read-only with propagate rights at Root or Datacenter object level.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I have a role, named Minimal, that can only start/stop VMs.

It has the following privileges (the first 3 are added by default).

minimal.png

Once the role is created, you can add a permission to the user on the root folder, aka Datacenters.

New-VIRole -Name Minimal -Privilege 'Power on','Power off'

New-VIPermission -Entity (Get-Folder -Name Datacenters) -Principal 'domain\user' -Role Minimal

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Luc,

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry I may have been unclear.  I'm trying to avoid giving permissions to the root or the datacenter objects.  I'm attempting to just give permission to a specific folder in VMs & Templates view.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Then you would need to change the Entity parameter with the folder(s) to which you want to restrict the user.

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not sure I follow.  Change the Entity parameter?

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Oh, the Entity parameter during the Get-VM.  Okay, I'm with you now.  Let me give that a shot.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You give the permission, with the minimal role, on the folder to which you want to restrict the user.

Something like this

$folder = Get-Folder -Name 'MyFolder'

New-VIPermission -Entity $folder -Principal 'domain\user' -Role Minimal

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hehe okay, this is on me for poorly describing.  I'm not looking for how to use powershell to create a role/permission at a folder.  I already have the minimal permission set to the folder.  What I'm trying to do is that when the minimal permission is only at the VM & Templates view folder level, use powershell to run a Get-VM to power manage it.  But it's not working when the permission is only at the VM folder level.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Strange, that seems to be working for me.
I set the permission, with the minimla role, on a VM and Templates folder, named MyFolder.

The user can only do a Get-VM for VMs in that specific folder, and he can start/stop those VMs.

Could be that I'm completely misunderstanding your question.

Perhaps a picture with annotation would help 🙂

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

LOL  Pictures usually do.  But alas, I just figured it out.

When I only apply the minimal role at the VM folder, doing a 'Get-VM <vnmame>' returns nothing.  However, if I simply do a 'Get-Datacenter | Get-VM <vmname>' it works.  Not sure why that is, but I'll take it.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That shouldn't be required, unless you have multiple folders with the same name.

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ah-- that could be it then.  Multiple external PSCs (single SSO domain) and multiple connected vcenters and multiple duplicate folder names.  This is for a custom citrix VM power management role and we have many "Citrix" folders throughout the environment.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Then Folder By Path might come in handy :smileygrin:

0 Kudos