VMware Cloud Community
EricOliver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New-vm cmdlet -guestid Flag options

Hello all,

I've scoured Google and the VMware Communities discussions for an answer to this question and I've come up dry. Now it may sound like I'm splitting hairs but I cannot find a -guestid option for "Microsoft Windows Sever 2008 (64 bit)" There is indeed an option for "Microsoft Windows Sever 2008 R2 (64 bit)" When creating a VM from the vSphere Client it's possible to get the former as a Guest OS. However when working in PowerCLI I can only seem to get the latter as a Guest OS. I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing. How do I get the new-vm cmdlet to set the Guest OS of my new vm to "Microsoft Windows Sever 2008 (64 bit)"?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
damiankarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try winLonghorn64Guest

Twitter: @sixfootdad

Blog: damiankarlson.com

Twitter: @sixfootdad Blog: damiankarlson.com Podcast: professionalvmware.com/brownbags

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
damiankarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try winLonghorn64Guest

Twitter: @sixfootdad

Blog: damiankarlson.com

Twitter: @sixfootdad Blog: damiankarlson.com Podcast: professionalvmware.com/brownbags
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The guestId for a Windows 2008 64-bit is "winLonghorn64Guest".

You can find all the guestIds in the SDK Reference in the VirtualMachineGuestOsIdentifier enumeration type.

This OS was introduced in API 2.5 as experimental and I suspect VMware never updated the identifier in later API version for compatibility reasons.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

EricOliver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank both of you, that worked. I'll try more experimenting next time!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

you can find GuestID options in New-VM help:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/windowstoolkit/wintk40u1/html/New-VM.html

Vitali

PowerCLI Team

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Vitali,

It seems the list in the New-VM is not up-to-date.

The vSphere 4.1 additions are missing (centosGuest,centos64Guest,eComStationGuest...).

I don't think it's a good idea to replicate the official list, perhaps a link to the official list is better ?

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the note Luc

Vitali

PowerCLI Team

0 Kudos