zewker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New-VM oscustomizationspec problems

Hi,

I cannot seem to figure this out

First I make an new Non Persistent customizationspec

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping |

Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $ipaddr -SubnetMask $netmask -DefaultGateway $gateway -Dns $dns

Then i Create a new vm

$vm = New-VM -Name $name -VMHost $vmhost -Template $template -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust -Datastore $datastore -Location $folder -ErrorAction:Stop

I get the folling error on new-vm

I get the same error if i provide an IP-Address to -IpAddress instead of a variable

New-VM : Cannot bind parameter 'OSCustomizationSpec'. Cannot convert the "UseStaticIP:1.1.1.1" value of type "VMware.VimAutoma

tion.ViCore.Impl.V1.OSCustomization.OSCustomizationNicMappingImpl" to type "VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.OSCustomization.OS

CustomizationSpec".

At line:4 char:22

+ -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust `

+                      ~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-VM], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

I've also tried not using -IpMode which should work if you use -IpAddress according to this:Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping however that doesn't seem to work either

IpAddress        Specify an IP address. Using this parameter automatically sets the IpMode parameter to UseStaticIp.

Any Ideas?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zewker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I've found the issue

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -name $custSpec | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust 

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $ipaddr -SubnetMask $netmask -DefaultGateway $gateway -Dns $dns

The second line was the problem, the type gets changed when it that way and therefore you cannot use that as the -OSCustomizationSpec variable

This works:

$custSpec | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $ipaddr -SubnetMask $netmask -DefaultGateway $gateway -Dns $dns

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you try with a persistent OSCustomizationSpec ?

Same issue ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
zewker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah persistent works, but then i get DHCP and I'd like a static IP.

I could however use Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface when the machine is done but it would be nice to get the right IP right away

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is a known issue I'm afraid with non-persistent OSCustomization specs.

Do you have a problem when you use the same Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping on a persistent OSCustomization spec ?

0 Kudos
zewker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh bummer 😕

Wouldn't that be a permanent change to the OSCustomization though?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

True, but I normally make a copy of my OSCustomizationSpec, which I throw away at the end of the script.

0 Kudos
zewker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I'll make a copy of my $custspec and create a new persistent and when the VM is done I delete it again?

I seem to get the same problem by using a persistent customization

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -name $custSpec | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $ipaddr -SubnetMask $netmask -DefaultGateway $gateway -Dns $dns

$vm = New-VM -Name $name `

-VMHost $vmhost `

-Template $template `

-OSCustomizationSpec $osCust `

-Datastore $datastore `

-Location $folder `

-ErrorAction:Stop

New-VM : Cannot bind parameter 'OSCustomizationSpec'. Cannot convert the "UseStaticIP:1.1.1.1" value of type "VMware.VimAutoma

tion.ViCore.Impl.V1.OSCustomization.OSCustomizationNicMappingImpl" to type "VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.OSCustomization.OS

CustomizationSpec".

At line:4 char:22

+ -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust `

+                      ~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-VM], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

Am I doing something wrong here?

$ipaddr.gettype()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType

-------- -------- ----                                     --------

True     True     String                                   System.Object

Get-OSCustomizationSpec $custSpec

Name                                         Description Type          OSType  LastUpdate           Server

----                                         ----------- ----          ------  ----------           ------

Admin                                     Persistent    Windows 2012-10-17 15:30:42  vcenter01

0 Kudos
cliffcahill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I always found with the custom specs that i needed to have a second NIC card in my initial template that i was cloning from

This is what i have used successfully - Its pretty specific to my environment but i think you will get the idea.

param(  

$staging_vcenter = '192.168.101.101',

$OrgName = "test",

$VMPassword = "pass",

##### AMP Hosts #####

$Esxihost = 'esx01.build.local',

$VMVER = 'v9',

##### Management #####

$MGMT='MGMT_VLAN',

$MGMTVLAN='105',

$VMSubnet ="255.255.255.0",

$VMDefaultGateway ="192.168.105.1",

##### Customisation Specs #####

$OSCostumSpec_VC = "VC-Vcenter",

##### VM Templates #####

$vcenterTemplate = 'W2K12R2-STD-Template',

##### VM IP Addressing #####

$VCVMIP ="192.168.105.100",

##### VM Hostnames #####

$VCVM ="vc.domain.local",

##### VM License Keys #####

$WinProductKey_VC = "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345",

##### Domain, DNS, Timezone #####

$domainName = "build.local",

$DNS = "192.168.101.253",

$DNS2 = "192.168.101.252",

$TimeZone = "090"

)

#End Setting Paramters for Scripts

#Connect to vCenter

Write-Verbose "Connecting to vCenter"

$server = Connect-VIServer $vCenter -credential $(get-credential)

$myhost = Get-VMHost -Name $Esxihost

$h1ds1 = $myhost | Get-Datastore -name *local

New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $OSCostumSpec_VC -OSType Windows -AdminPassword $VMPassword  -TimeZone $TimeZone -ProductKey $WinProductKey_VC -ChangeSid -OrgName $OrgName -NamingScheme Fixed -NamingPrefix $VCVM.split(".")[0] -fullname Administrator -Workgroup WORKGROUP

New-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $OSCostumSpec_VC -IpMode UseStaticIP -IPAddress $VCVMIP -SubnetMask $VMSubnet -DefaultGateway $VMGefaultGateway -Dns $DNS,$DNS2 -Position 1

New-VM -VMHost $Esxihost -Name $VCVM -Datastore $h1ds1 -Template $vcenterTemplate -OSCustomizationSpec $OSCostumSpec_VC

Get-VM -name $VCVM | Set-VM -Version $VMVER -confirm:$false

Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $VCVM | where {$_.Name -eq "Network adapter 2"} | Remove-NetworkAdapter -confirm:$false

Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $VCVM | where {$_.Name -eq "Network adapter 1"} | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName $MGMT -confirm:$false -StartConnected:$true

Remove-OSCustomizationSpec $OSCostumSpec_VC -confirm:$false

Set-VM -VM $VCVM  -MemoryGB 24 -NumCpu 4  -Description "vCenter Server" -confirm:$false

$VMdisk = Get-HardDisk -vm $VCVM  -Name "Hard Disk 1"

Set-HardDisk -HardDisk $VMdisk -CapacityGB 60 -confirm:$false

$VMdisk2 = Get-HardDisk -vm $VCVM  -Name "Hard Disk 2"

Set-HardDisk -HardDisk $VMdisk2 -CapacityGB 40 -confirm:$false

0 Kudos
zewker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I've found the issue

The second line was the problem, the type gets changed when it that way and therefore you cannot use that as the -OSCustomizationSpec variable

This works:

$custSpec | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $ipaddr -SubnetMask $netmask -DefaultGateway $gateway -Dns $dns

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name tempcust

0 Kudos