VMware Cloud Community
JB01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New-VM creates wrong SCSI Controller for WINXP ( Buslogic instead of LSI Logic )

Hi,

I´m using VI Toolskit 1.5 for creating some VM´s

the script run´s pretty fine , but using " -GuestId winXPProGuest " creates a VM with SCSI Controller 0 Buslogic , I´m surprised expected Result should be LSI Logic

CODE:

new-vm -host $VMHost -name $VMName -diskmb $DiskSize -memorymb $Memory -Networkname $Networkname -Datastore $Datastore -GuestId winXPProGuest -runasync

Some Ideas ?

Greetings JB01

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should be able to create it as a Vista guest, which will give you an LSI controller. If you need to you can go back later and change the guest ID with Set-VM -GuestID. This won't change the controller type.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should be able to create it as a Vista guest, which will give you an LSI controller. If you need to you can go back later and change the guest ID with Set-VM -GuestID. This won't change the controller type.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think what you are seeing is by design.

Win XP doesn't contain a driver for a LSI Logic driver, that would mean you would have to use F6 when installing XP.

If you have a customised XP installation image you could use the script I gave in to add a LSI Logic controller to your new XP VMs.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Luc,

Unfortunately "it depends". The distro you get from MS may very well not have LSI, but OEM distros may have different drivers pre-loaded. When you're dealing with those older OSes like XP and 2000 you need to be able to choose between them. There's not really a way to do this (currently) except to trick ESX into giving you one type of controller or another by telling it a different guest type. This seems to work. Of course, the ideal would be if you could select the type of controller you want through New-VM.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Fully agree with you on the OEM distributions, but since you are deploying on a VM I don't think you are even allowed to use an OEM distribution.

They go with specific HW if I'm not mistaken.

That's why I said that you need to hit F6 during installation and point to the LSI Logic driver (from VMware or from another source).

Adding a LSI Logic controller is quite easy with the filter I gave in the other thread.

You can use it like

$vm = New-VM -Name <VM-name> -VMHost (Get-VMHost <ESX-hostname>) -GuestId winNetStandardGuest | set-SCSIController
Start-VM $vm

For me that was easier than changing the guest type (which has other side effects if I remember correctly).

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos