VMware Cloud Community
kwharrisit
Contributor
Contributor

New Powershell Dev environment

Hi there, I had come across an article on one of these powershell site that gave advice for what a new environment for working with vmware and powershell should look like, i.e. VI toolkit, Powergui, etc. Does anyone have tha list or some advice? Im rather new to this and have been keen on learning how to manage my large VM environment (400+) via powershell, but Id like to know what other tools you guys are using to enhance the toolkit.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
gboskin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just use VI toolkit and powerQui and run all scipts from my laptop.

I However also have Remote CLI also installed on my Laptop for doing manual complex Storage V motion in interactive mode.

However for running "sensitive" scripts i do not have PowerQui install on the VCenter , just PowerShell and VI toolkit. I do this so that administrators with less developmnmet experinece can run the script wihout it being altered.

Cheers

LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I use PowerShellPlus ($) and the PowerGui Script Editor (free) for script development.

For Windows forms I use Admin Script Editor ($) and PrimalForms (free).

For production we use mostly scheduled tasks to run repetitive scripts.

Ad hoc scripts in production are run from within a CMD file or from a PS prompt.

We also use PowerScripter ($) to run scripts from within the VI client.

This product also has a powerful scheduler.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

RobMokkink
Expert
Expert

@Luc,

Is the powerscripter a nice tool to use for operators?

Most guys in the operations team don't understand powershell. If the tool has a great scheduler it could be something we can use.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

@Rob, I find it a very useful tool for adding functionality to your VI client. And it doesn't require PS knowledge to use.

The scheduler that is included is definitely a plus.

There is a trial download available if you want to check it out.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert

I just downloaded the trail version, and i am gonna test it. I looked into the feature list, but most stuff i already created powershell scripts for.

0 Kudos
kwharrisit
Contributor
Contributor

Great advice you two.... gives me a good starting point.. thanks . It was also good to see my thoughts about keeping this stuff away from my VC server were good. I actually have been setting up a VM that is basically "script central" where that is all it's used for .

0 Kudos