VMware Cloud Community
DhimanLahiri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New-PSDrive problem

Hi,

I was creating a New-PSDrive to use the Copy-Datastore function in the following way:

$vcServer = Connect-VIServer -Server: -Destination MyDS:\Installer\ -Force

This was working fine for me yesterday but seems to be giving a problem today and I just cant figure why. PLease help. Error listed below

New-PSDrive : Cannot bind parameter 'Datastore' to the target. Exception settin

g "Datastore": "Invalid location type. Location accepts only VIDatastore object

s."

At C:\DOCUME1\lahird\LOCALS1\Temp\7d6a8a2f-c779-4253-a09e-7fcca9341784.ps1:2

char:68

+ New-PSDrive -Name MyDS1 -PSProvider VimDatastore -Root \ -Datastore <<<< "da

tastore2"

+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Smiley Happy , ParameterBindingE

xception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Comm

ands.NewPSDriveCommand

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can reproduce the exact same error when I place a $null value in the $desiredDataStore variable

Can you check if

Get-Datastore <name>

returns a valid DatastoreImpl object ?

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can reproduce the exact same error when I place a $null value in the $desiredDataStore variable

Can you check if

Get-Datastore <name>

returns a valid DatastoreImpl object ?

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
DhimanLahiri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You hit it on the head Luc

That was the problem

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am getting the same error and when I try what LucD recommended - I get the datastore information as expected - I guess:

[vSphere PowerCLI] D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> get-datastore -name master_images

Name                               FreeSpaceMB      CapacityMB
----                               -----------      ----------
Master_Images                            45407           45407
Master_Images                            45406           45407

Pls note that Master_Images is an NFS datastore - can that be the cause of the following error:

[vSphere PowerCLI] D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> New-PSDrive -Name
dest -PSProvider ViMdatastore -Root '\' -location $ds2
New-PSDrive : Cannot bind parameter 'Datastore' to the target. Exception setting "Datastore": "Invalid location type. Location accepts only VIDatastore objects."
At line:1 char:68
+ New-PSDrive -Name dest -PSProvider ViMdatastore -Root '\' -location <<<<  $ds2
    + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (:) [New-PSDrive], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewPSDriveCommand

Pls help - thanks.

-sf

0 Kudos
aerodevil
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Looks like you have more than one Master_Images datastore which would be passing an array rather than a VIDatastore object.

I am connecting PSdrive to NFS without problem for the record.  I am having trouble with Get-ChildItem -Exclude however but that's another issue.

Are you looking to have a PSdrive map to each of the two datastores?  You could do the following or create a loop.  Depends on what you're usage case is.

$ds = Get-Datastore Master_Images

$psdrive1 = New-PSDrive -Name "dest1" -PSProvider ViMdatastore -Root \ -location $ds[0]

$psdrive2 = New-PSDrive -Name "dest2" -PSProvider VimDatastore -Root \ -location $ds[1]

Doing a loop is a little more challenging since you would need to adjust the name dynamically.

$ds = Get-Datastore Master_Images

$i = 0

foreach ($drive in $ds) {

$name = $drive.Name + $i

New-PSDrive -Name $name -PSProvider ViMdatastore -Root \ -location $drive

$i = $i + 1

}

You'll just need to recall that you're adding a digit at the end of the drive name.

Josh Atwell @Josh_Atwell http://www.vtesseract.com http://github.com/joshatwell/
0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Josh.

What I am trying to do is create a script which can copy the contents of a folder to another folder (NFS) on a weekly schedule basis. The first is a full copy and all subsequent should be delta copies. The NFS share is also mounted to another vCenter in another datacenter.

I removed the second mount but still get the same error.

Thx,

-sf

0 Kudos
phili
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Sf,

I had the same error and apparently I had connected to the same vcenter twice and my

$ Datastore = Get-Datastore –Name DatastoreABCD  was returning two objects. I gave a select-unique option and it worked .

$ Datastore = Get-Datastore –Name DatastoreABCD | select unique

Apparently, I have changed the default $DefaultVIServers to just one entry ie my vc and seems like it has fixed it. hope this helps.

0 Kudos