broedi
Contributor
Contributor

New-OSCustomizationSpec problem with PowerCLI 4.1.1 (332441)

Hi,

Im using PowerCLI to automate the deployment of new VMs by using VMware Templates and an OSCustomizationSpec.
During the process, I create a new OSCustomizationSpec from a Template with the Command:
New-OSCustomizationSpec -Spec Spec_Tempate -Name MyNew_Spec

The Command works fine with PowerCLI 4.1 (264274), but after Upgrading to PowerCLI 4.1.1 (332441) the OS-Setup of Windows 2008 R2 failed 
Error: "Install Windows"
Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass [oobeSystem].
The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.
The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]

The Error is reproduceable.

All ESXi and vCenter Server using Version 4.1

Is there another way to create a new OSCustomizationSpec?

Has anyone used that Command with success?

Thanks for any feedback

Willibald

0 Kudos
47 Replies
pauljawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Broedi,

I had an issue trying to create a new spec through the command line. This issue was being caused by the the x64 version of the CLI client. If you use the x86 version then the command should complete fine.

I posted this a month or so back and it should be getting fixed I hope.

If you found this helpful then please leave some points.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi all,

PowerCLI encrypts password fields in customization specification objects. Currently the encryption library that we use is only 32bit so if you want to use customization functionality you should start PowerCLI in 32 bit mode.

Vitali

PowerCLI Team

0 Kudos
broedi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the Info, but I use the 32-Bit Version (on Windows 7 32-bit).

On the same Computer the New-OSCustomizationSpec is working with PowerCLI Version 4.1 but not working with PowerCLI Version 4.1 U1 😞

Regards,

broedi

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi again,

I understood something incorrect...

Can you tell about the error in your fisrt post - this error is result from New-OSCustomizationSpec call or it is result from New-VM -Template .... - OSCustomization .... call?

Thanks,

Vitali

PowerCLI Team

0 Kudos
broedi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Vitali,

thanks for your quick reply 🙂

I get the error in the VM-Box during the Windows-Setup/Customization process after the second reboot.

The Commands "New-OSCustomizationSpec" or "New-VM" are running without any error.

Regards,

Broedi

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal