VMware Cloud Community
rengelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New-Harddisk fails on Windows Server 2008 VM's with LSI Logic SAS SCSI controller

When I try to add a new Harddisk to a VM with the New-Harddisk cmdlet to a Windows Server 2008 VM, i get the following error:

New-HardDisk : 1/18/2010 2:59:48 PM New-HardDisk B8EDFDDF-ACF6-43AC-B111-51D332290FC7 The operation for the entity vm-315 failed with the following message: "Number of virtual devices exceeds the maximum for a given controller."
At line:1 char:13
+ new-harddisk <<<< -vm $vm[5] -capacityKB 4194304
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (vm-315:String) ,ViError
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation.Commands.NewHardDisk

When I assign a different controller to the VM, e.g. the LSI Logic Parallel, there isn't a problem at all. When I add extra disks using the VI Client, there is also no problem, regardless of the SCSI controller I use.

Anyone had this problem as well? Is there a known fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rengelen,

I admit I've been quite murky regarding when the fix will be available. The thing is that VMware has a policy that employees shouldn't mention release timeframes unless we're 100% certain we can keep the promise. Hence statemens like "will be available in a future release" Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you actually using 15 devices on that VM? The vSphere Client will automatically create new SCSI controllers when one is full. PowerCLI doesn't do that.

=====

Carter Shanklin

Read the PowerCLI Blog
[Follow me on Twitter|http://twitter.com/cshanklin]

0 Kudos
rengelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey c_shanklin,

Thnx for the reply but I don't think the number of devices is my problem here, I'm not even getting near 15 devices, the problem already pops up with adding a second disk to a VM with the LSI Logic SAS controller. And as I mentioned before, when I use the "LSI Logic Parallel" instead of the "LSI Logic SAS" controller, there isn't a problem at all...

0 Kudos
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rengelen,

Can you confirm that in the situation in which New-Harddisk fails, vSphere Client successfully adds a disk with the same parameters? I'm asking this question to locate the cause of the issue (PowerCLI vs. VC).

0 Kudos
jeveenj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried to do the same at my end, it worked successfully with VC version 4.0.0, build 162856 and ESX version4.0.0, build 164009.

If possible try to create a VM with VI client having LSI Logic SAS controller and add new hard disk to it via PowerCLI script. Does it give same error?

-If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for Correct or Helpful.
0 Kudos
Zsoldier
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I get this same error on VM's (Guest OS irrelevant) that I have configured to use VMWare Paravirtual SCSI controller.

The command runs fine when using the "LSI logic Parallel" or "BusLogic Parallel" controller.

It fails when "VMWare Paravirtual" or "LSI Logic SAS" are used with the following message:

New-HardDisk : 2/9/2010 11:03:30 AM New-HardDisk The operation for the en

tity vm-##### failed with the following message: "Number of virtual devices exceeds the maximum for a given controller.

"

At line:1 char:33

++ get-vm testvm | New-HardDisk <<<< -CapacityKB 5242880+

++ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (vm-37527:String) , ViError+

++ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpdates_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation+

.Commands.NewHardDisk

Configuration:

VM Hardware Version 7

vCenter 4.0 U1

ESX 4.0 U1

Powershell 2.0

PowerCLI 4.0 U1

K. Chris Nakagaki (Zsoldier)

http://tech.zsoldier.com

Message was edited by: Zsoldier

Chris Nakagaki (中垣浩一)
Blog: https://tech.zsoldier.com
Twitter: @zsoldier
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Zsoldier,

Can you try the equivalent of the failing action in vSphere Client and tell me whether it succeeds or it fails like the cmdlet? The answer will help locate the cause of the issue (PowerCLI vs. VC).

Thanks,

Andrey

0 Kudos
Zsoldier
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It succeeds when I do the same in the VC client GUI. It's a cmdlet error.

Also of note, the VM I was working against only had one vmdk.

K. Chris Nakagaki (Zsoldier)

http://tech.zsoldier.com

Message was edited by: Zsoldier

Chris Nakagaki (中垣浩一)
Blog: https://tech.zsoldier.com
Twitter: @zsoldier
0 Kudos
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Zsoldier, thank you for your help.

All, I have filed the problem with high priority for investigation by the development team. Thank you for taking the time to report it.

0 Kudos
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The investigation showed that PowerCLI 4.0 U1 does not support the "VMWare Paravirtual" or "LSI Logic SAS" controllers. This is a bug. It has been fixed already and the fix will be available in a future release.

rengelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the investigation, do you know when this next release for PowerCLI is available? We currently have to use some workarounds for Windows Server 2008 VM's since the LSI Logic SAS controller is the default controller for this guest OS...

0 Kudos
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rengelen,

I admit I've been quite murky regarding when the fix will be available. The thing is that VMware has a policy that employees shouldn't mention release timeframes unless we're 100% certain we can keep the promise. Hence statemens like "will be available in a future release" Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mi_andersson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, any news on a fix for this?, I'm getting the same error and it's a big problem since we are trying to automate our deploys 100%

regards

/Mikael

0 Kudos
JaredBlack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add me to the list of people impacted by this bug. Our VM deployments are pretty much 100% automated except this, so I'd definitely like to see this bug addressed.

0 Kudos