VMware Cloud Community
lusid2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New-Harddisk - WARNING: Parameter 'VM' is obsolete. Passing multiple values to this parameter is obsolete.

How can a mandatory parameter be obsolete?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Which PowerCLI version are you running ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
lusid2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Latest 6.0. R3. 

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Just checked again, and the warning is not saying that the VM parameter will become obsolete.

It says that passing multiple values to this parameter will become obsolete.

hd-warning.jpg

0 Kudos
lusid2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen that one too, but I get this warning when I only pass it one VM:

PS C:\> $vm=get-vm "ThereCanBeOnlyOne"

PS C:\> New-HardDisk -vm $vm -CapacityGB 1

WARNING: Parameter 'VM' is obsolete. Passing multiple values to this parameter is obsolete.

There are other cases where a mandatory parameter is flagged as obsolete.  I also see it on -entity when setting advanced config variables on a VM.

PS C:\> New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vm -Name disk.EnableUUID -value "TRUE" -confirm:$False

WARNING: Parameter 'Entity' is obsolete. This parameter no longer accepts multiple values.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I only get the warning when I actually pass more than one value on the parameters involved (for New-Harddisk and New-AdvancedSetting).

Are you sure there is only one VM in the variable $vm ?

But again, I get a slightly different warning.

WARNING: Passing multiple values to the 'Entity' parameter of 'New-AdvancedSetting' cmdlet is obsolete. The parameter will accept o

nly a single object in future.

Which PowerShell version are you using ?

I just tested under PS v3 and v4, same result.

Both with PowerCLI 6R3

0 Kudos
erpomik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I get the exact same error for the Address and IScsiHba parameter, whenever I run New-IScsiHbaTarget. But only when I manage ESXi 5.5 hosts using PowerCli 6.0. If I manage these hosts using PowerCli 5.5 everything works as expected. Furthermore, if I manage ESXi 5.5 hosts attached to a vCenter 6, and directs the New-IScsiHbaTarget command to the vCenter everything works fine as well.

So to me, this looks like an incompatibility problem with PowerCli 6 towards old hosts.

My only problem: I don't have the time to report this to VMware. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
rlongdon
Contributor
Contributor

I also receive this when I specify a single VM as shown below.  I am using a module version of VMware.VimAutomation.Core 6.0.0.0 and target VM is hosted on a vSphere 6 environment.

Example

PS C:\Windows> New-HardDisk  -VM TSTSVR208 -CapacityGB 10 -StorageFormat Thin

WARNING: Parameter 'VM' is obsolete. Passing multiple values to this parameter is obsolete.

CapacityGB      Persistence                                                    Filename

----------      -----------                                                    --------

10.000          Persistent           ...LUN10] TSTSVR208/TSTSVR208_2.vmdk

More info

PS C:\Windows> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

PSVersion                      5.0.10586.122                                                                                                                                                                                                         

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}                                                                                                                                                                                               

BuildVersion                   10.0.10586.122                                                                                                                                                                                                        

CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000                                                                                                                                                                                                       

WSManStackVersion              3.0                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                                                                                                                                                                                               

The problem isn't annoying enough to raise a support call so lets hope it gets resolved in future releases.

Rob Longdon.

0 Kudos
dmmcsherry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just out of curiousity, what happens if you just pipeline to the New-HardDisk:

$vm | New-HardDisk -CapacityGB 1

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

This warning is not there because you specified multiple values on the VM parameter, but has to do with the value in your $WarningPreference value.

See about_Preference_Variables

And I don't think this will get fixed, it's a design decision that was taken.

0 Kudos
Lug77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having this problem too with New-AdvancedSetting and I'm certain my Entity object is a single VM.

$vmobj.count

$vmobj.gettype()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                        

-------- -------- ----                                     --------                                        

True     False    UniversalVirtualMachineImpl              VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Inventory....

$vmobj.name

<vmname shown>

Refreshing the object to make sure it's just one.

$vmobj = get-vm $vmobj.name

Yes it's still one

$vmobj.count

$vmobj.gettype()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                        

-------- -------- ----                                     --------                                        

True     False    UniversalVirtualMachineImpl              VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Inventory....

New-AdvancedSetting -Entity $vmobj -Name "bios.bootdeviceclasses" -Value "allow:net,cd" -Confirm:$false -Force

Parameter 'Entity' is obsolete. This parameter no longer accepts multiple values.

Results are the same whether I pass it with -Entity or pipeline.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Like I tried to explain in my previous reply, this is a warning, not an error.

Did you check the setting afterwards?

It should contain the value you set.

0 Kudos
Lug77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, the command does work, I forgot to mention that in the post.  My concern wasn't about the command itself but more over the warning.  While I agree it is just a warning that can be ignored and hidden, I feel that it should only be displayed when you actually do pass multiple values.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I see your point, but I'm afraid the warning mechanism doesn't go that far.

0 Kudos
jnewtonSCM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LucD, I guess I'm not clear on the reason for the warning. It's saying two things - don't use the VM parameter and don't pass in multiple values for the VM parameter. That would indicate that this parameter is being replaced by something else. If so, then what? If not, then there shouldn't be a warning. Please clarify. Thanks.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'll give it one more try.

The warning says that the possibility to specify multiple values (an array) on the VM parameter is deprecated.

That option, specifying multiple values on the VM parameter, will ultimately go away.

And no, there is no other cmdlet, the New-HardDisk cmdlet will stay, just the option to specify an array on the VM parameter will ultimately go away.

Also note that this a warning, this doesn't mean that you actually specified an array on the VM parameter.

0 Kudos