VMware Cloud Community
Sureshadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need powershell script to collect ESX host Network Info

hi,

I need two powershell scripts for collecting two types of ESX host network information,

1. vNIC information --> the information about the vmnic(physical nic of ESX hosts) connected to vSwitches.

vNIC | Model | vSwitch | Portgroups | Speed | Status | PCI Location | Active/stand-by/unassigned

Expected output(Example):

vmnic0 | intel corporation 82XXXX gigabit ethernet controller | vSwitch0 | service console, vMotion | 1000mbps Full | up | 01:01.00 | Active

2. Portgroup information

Portgroup | vNIC(s) with active/standby | PCI location of vNIC(s) with active/standby | Physical switch with port number

Expected Output (Example):

Service console | vmnic0(a) : vmnic1(s) | 01:00.00(a) : 02:00.00(s) | abcd-123[GigabitEthernet10/10] : xyzf-7890[Gigabitethernet11/11]

Please note if CDP not enabled, then in values of physical switch field can contain "CDP not enabled"

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
71 Replies
kwharrisit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok so at the top of the report I added a connect-viserver servervc01

after I run the script I get the following errors in the debug window over and over again

Exception calling "Join" with "2" argument(s): "Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: value"

At line:18 char:35

+ $row.Portgroups = ::Join <<<< (",", ($pg | %{$_.Name}))

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

At line:18 char:35

+ $row.Portgroups = ::Join <<<< (",", ($pg | %{$_.Name}))

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy [], MethodInvocationException

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you get the same error when you run it from a PowerCLI prompt ?

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I run the script from the PowerCLI interface just ./script.ps1

Attached is the lastest version of the script, create a directory on your C drive for the following poath C:\Scripts\GetNetworkInfo\ place the script in there, open PowerCLI and change directories to C:\Scripts\GetNetworkInfo\ and then run the script ./pnic-report.ps1

make sure you put in your FQDN for the vCenter and your username and password. If your using a domain account list it in the username section as domain\username

this script takes a bit to run depending on how many hosts you have.

Also it appears it will throw an error on the portgroup line for any host without CDP enabled

At C:\Scripts\GetNetworkInfo\pnic-report.ps1:25 char:36
+             $row.Portgroups = [string]::Join <<<< (",", ($pg | %{$_.Name}))
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Luc,

Everything is working correctly, it just throws an error on the portgroups when the link is down or CDP isn't configured. Is there anyway to add the observed Vlan to the observed IPranges line?

It seems like the Vlan should be in the () in the output below but it's not, is there something else I need to add to the line?

$row.IPrange = [string]::Join("/",@($cdpInfo[0].Subnet | %{$_.IpSubnet + "(" + $type + ")"}))

Output

IPrange
10.227.128.10-10.227.128.10()/161.134.216.64-161.134.216.127()/169.254.0.1-169.254.127.254()/169.254.0.1-169.254.255.254()/161.134.221.1-161.134.221.31()/160.0.0.1-175.255.255.254()/161.134.217.134-161.134.217.134()/10.226.128.1-10.226.128.254()/172.18.70.4-172.18.70.7()/161.134.221.208-161.134.221.211()/160.0.0.1-175.255.255.254()/172.18.113.4-172.18.113.5()/169.254.35.255-169.254.35.254()

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Fixed the problem with the portgroups and added the VLAN Id to the output.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

anyway to grab the vKernel and Service Console IPs in this?

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

0 Kudos
sureshadmin2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Luc,

Can you please re-write this script to include portgroup from dvSwitch also so that dvSwitch portgroups are reported along with standard vSwitch portgroup per host? Much needed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bump.. did anyone ever get anywhere with the request for dvswitch info? It would be super-useful....

TIA

0 Kudos
vmdeivid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is an old post, but i really wanted to say THANK YOU LucD! These scripts just saved me a lot of time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bump on the script.

LucD you are a life saver

0 Kudos
pravin_utekar12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI lucd please let me know how can i retrive the result of this script in csv file.

Thanks

Pravinu.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The last script I attached saves the result to a CSV file.

But watch out, there is an error in that it always saves to the same CSV file.

Change this line

$report | export-csv C:\Scripts\GetNetworkInfo\networkinfo.csv -NoTypeInformation

into something like this

$report | export-csv C:\Scripts\$singleViserver-GetNetworkInfo\networkinfo.csv -NoTypeInformation

0 Kudos