VMware Cloud Community
winsolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Need help with SRM API InventoryMapping.GetResourcePoolMappings().SecondaryObject[]

I've modified a script according to my needs, which was originally created by @vishu_dear05 . The script does work and produce the intended output.

$credential = Get-Credential
$vCenters = $Global:DefaultVIServers
$report = @()
$row=''

ForEach ($vCenter in $vCenters) {
    $report=@()
    $vCName = $vCenter.Name
    $srmConnection = Connect-SrmServer -Credential $credential -RemoteCredential $credential -Port 443
    $srmApi = $srmConnection.ExtensionData
    $recoveryplans = $srmApi.Recovery.ListPlans()

ForEach ($recoveryplan in $recoveryplans) {
        $protectionGroups = $recoveryplan.GetInfo().ProtectionGroups

ForEach ($protectionGroup in $protectionGroups) {
            $protectionGroupInfo = $protectionGroup.GetInfo()
            $recoveryplanInfo =$recoveryplan.GetInfo()
            $vms = $protectionGroup.ListAssociatedVms()
            $vmp = $protectionGroup.ListProtectedVms()

ForEach ($vm in $vmp) {
                $row = "" | Select-Object VMName, PowerState, VMProtectionState, VMPeerState, VMNeedsConfiguration, ProtectionGroupName, ProtectionGroupState, ProtectionGroupConfigured, RecoveryStatus, RecoveryPriority, SkipGuestShutDown, PowerOnTimeoutSeconds, PowerOnDelaySeconds, PowerOffTimeoutSeconds, FinalPowerState, RecoveryPlanName, DestinationHost, DestinationPort, QuiesceGuestEnabled, Paused, OppUpdatesEnabled, NetCompressionEnabled, NetEncryptionEnabled, ConfiguredDisks, ClusterName, ResourcePoolName, Datastore, RPO, IPAddress, VMtoolStatus, vCenterName
                $vm.Vm.UpdateViewData()
                if(($vm.vm.Config.RepConfig)) {
                    $row.VmName = $vm.vm.Name
                    $row.PowerState = $vm.Vm.Runtime.PowerState
                    $row.VMProtectionState = ($vmp | Where-Object {$_.VmName -eq $vm.vm.Name}).State
                    $row.VMPeerState = ($vmp | Where-Object {$_.VmName -eq $vm.vm.Name}).PeerState
                    $row.VMNeedsConfiguration = ($vmp | Where-Object {$_.VmName -eq $vm.vm.Name}).NeedsConfiguration
                    $row.ProtectionGroupName = $protectionGroupInfo.Name
                    $row.ProtectionGroupState = $protectionGroup.GetProtectionState()
                    $row.ProtectionGroupConfigured = $protectionGroup.CheckConfigured()
                    $ID = (Get-VM -Name $vm.VmName | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn"}).ID
                    $row.RecoveryStatus = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).Status
                    $row.RecoveryPriority = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).RecoveryPriority
                    $row.SkipGuestShutDown = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).SkipGuestShutDown
                    $row.PowerOnTimeoutSeconds = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).PowerOnTimeoutSeconds
                    $row.PowerOnDelaySeconds = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).PowerOnDelaySeconds
                    $row.PowerOffTimeoutSeconds = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).PowerOffTimeoutSeconds
                    $row.FinalPowerState = $recoveryplan.GetRecoverySettings($ID).FinalPowerState
                    $row.RecoveryPlanName = $recoveryplanInfo.Name
                    $row.DestinationHost = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.Destination
                    $row.DestinationPort = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.Port
                    $row.QuiesceGuestEnabled = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.QuiesceGuestEnabled
                    $row.Paused = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.Paused
                    $row.OppUpdatesEnabled = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.OppUpdatesEnabled
                    $row.NetCompressionEnabled = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.NetCompressionEnabled
                    $row.NetEncryptionEnabled = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.NetEncryptionEnabled
                    $row.ConfiguredDisks = ($vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.Disk.Key).Count
                    $hostview = Get-view $vm.vm.Runtime.Host
                    $clusview = Get-View $hostview.Parent
                    $row.ClusterName = $clusview.Name
                    $row.ResourcePoolName = (Get-View $vm.Vm.ResourcePool).Name
                    $row.Datastore = $vm.vm.Config.DatastoreUrl.Name
                    $row.RPO = $vm.vm.Config.RepConfig.Rpo
                    $row.IPAddress = $vm.vm.Guest.IpAddress
                    $row.VMtoolStatus = $vm.vm.Guest.ToolsRunningStatus
                    $row.vCenterName = $vCName
                    $report += $row
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
$report | Out-GridView

However, I'm struggling to find a way to use the GetResourcePoolMappings Method in the InventoryMapping property, to integrate into the existing script. I'd like to be able to get the "Recovery Resource Pool" of a replica by using the above method.

(Get-View $srmApi.InventoryMapping.GetResourcePoolMappings().SecondaryObject[3]).Name

I'm able to get the desired output by calling the exact Index number in the array. But I'd like the script to get the SecondaryObject[] which contains the Recovery Resource Pool based on the replica VM.

Snag_3810688d.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
winsolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've been able to come up with a workaround which has worked the way I needed it. I've come up with a below snippet that's able to give me the "Recovery Network" and the "Recovery Resource Pool name" that's assigned to the replica VM in the recovery site.

$row.RecoveryResourcePool = (get-vm -Name $vm.VmName | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOff"}).ResourcePool.Name
$array = $srmApi.InventoryMapping.GetNetworkMappings() | ForEach-Object {$i=0} {$_ | Add-Member Index ($i++) -PassThru}
$PrimaryObject = (Get-VirtualPortgroup -Name (Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $vm.VmName).NetworkName).ID[0]
$index = ($array | Where-Object {$_.PrimaryObject -match $PrimaryObject}).Index
$row.RecoveryNetwork = (Get-View ($array[$index]).SecondaryObject[0]).Name

Snag_3e400863.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
winsolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've been able to come up with a workaround which has worked the way I needed it. I've come up with a below snippet that's able to give me the "Recovery Network" and the "Recovery Resource Pool name" that's assigned to the replica VM in the recovery site.

$row.RecoveryResourcePool = (get-vm -Name $vm.VmName | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOff"}).ResourcePool.Name
$array = $srmApi.InventoryMapping.GetNetworkMappings() | ForEach-Object {$i=0} {$_ | Add-Member Index ($i++) -PassThru}
$PrimaryObject = (Get-VirtualPortgroup -Name (Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $vm.VmName).NetworkName).ID[0]

Snag_3e400863.png

vishu_dear05
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! I did read through the SRM API guide to figure out how i can get recovery site details for the VM however was nly able to get references comeing from sRM DB ...
This recovery res pool and recovery network listing you show works being connected only to the Protected Site vCenter  right ? doesn't need a connection to remote site vcenter ? 

0 Kudos
winsolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The fact that there's no public API available for vSphere Replication, we can only rely on the SRM DB.

For the Recovery Resource Pool, this snippet gets the resource pool name of the replica VM (which is powered off) from the Recovery Site vCenter. Therefore, this works only when the current session is connected to the Recovery site vCenter as well.

$row.RecoveryResourcePool = (get-vm -Name $view.Name | Where-Object {$_.PowerState -eq "PoweredOff"}).ResourcePool.Name

For the Recovery network, as the replica VM in the Recovery Site vCenter won't have any network assigned, I decided to get the Port group of the protected VM in the Protected site's vCenter and cross check with the protected site's SRM to get the corresponding network mapping, which is the secondary object. Here's the slightly modified snippet (the VM name comes from the $view variable I've created in the beginning of the ForEach loop).

$NetMappingArray = ($srmApi.InventoryMapping.GetNetworkMappings()) | ForEach-Object {$i=0} {$_ | Add-Member Index ($i++) -PassThru}
$PrimaryObject = (Get-VirtualPortgroup -Name (Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $view.Name).NetworkName).ID
$index = ($NetMappingArray | Where-Object {$_.PrimaryObject -match $PrimaryObject}).Index
$row.RecoveryNetwork = (Get-View ($NetMappingArray[$index]).SecondaryObject[0]).Name

0 Kudos
vishu_dear05
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay Got it.. Thank you very much for the explanation ! 

0 Kudos
juanmunoz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Am trying to run the script provided but am getting errors. 

Get-View : 12/7/2023 9:29:01 AM Get-View View with Id 'OpaqueNetwork-network-o205' was not found on the server(s).
At line:47 char:45
+ ... RecoveryNetwork = (Get-View ($array[$index]).SecondaryObject[0]).Name
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-View], VimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_GetView_WriteNotFoundError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.DotNetInterop.Ge
tVIView

0 Kudos
juanmunoz1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this is not returning anything.

0 Kudos