VMware Cloud Community
FriendlyPim
Contributor
Contributor

Need PowerCLI Script for listing all Windows 10 VMs and their OS Build Versions

I've been looking through the forums for several hours but I haven't been able to find any scripts that specifically list Windows 10 VMs with the OS Build version ie: 21H2, or 19044.1889. Either would be fine. I wasn't even able to find the powercli property for this specific information. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You could do something like this.

Note1: this will only work for VMs that are powered on and have the VMware Tools installed.
Note2: the Invoke-VMScript might require a GuestCredential parameter when the account that runs the script is not allowed to loon to the Guest OS
Note3: you might need to add additional cases to the switch statement

$code = @'
Switch ($((get-ciminstance Win32_OperatingSystem).buildnumber))
{
  17763 {'Windows 10 - 1809'}
  18362 {'Windows 10 - 1903'}
  18363 {'Windows 10 - 1909'}
  19041 {'Windows 10 - 2004'}
  19042 {'Windows 10 - 29H2'}
  19043 {'Windows 10 - 21H1'}
  19044 {'Windows 10 - 21H2'}
  22000 {'Windows 11'}
  Default {'unable to determine the release off of the build number ' }
}
'@
Get-VM | where{$_.Guest.OSFullName -match '^Microsoft Windows 10' -and $_.PowerState -eq 'PoweredOn'} |
ForEach-Object -Process {
  $result = Invoke-VMScript -VM $_ -ScriptText $code -ScriptType Powershell -
  if($result.ScriptOutput -match '21H2'){
    $_.Name
  }
}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

FriendlyPim
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this. It started running through them, but stopped as soon as it hit a machine my credentials didn't have access to. I would probably have to invoke a guest credential for the other servers, but we have hundreds of unique credentials per server. I was hoping credentials were not needed to get this information. I'll have to approach this from another direction.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

If you have the required setup (for example WinRM) you can run Get-CimInstance with the ComputerName parameter.
See Example 7 in the cmdlet doc.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos