VMware Cloud Community
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move-Inventory Problem

Hey guys I am writing a script to move some vm's from one folder to another I have tried a couple of different ways but keep getting the same error. script is as follows:

$folder = Get-Folder -ID "Folder-group-v3166"

Move-Inventory -Item $vm -Destination $folder

Cannot bind parameter 'Item'. Cannot convert value "testvm" to type "VMware.VimAutomation.Types.VIObject". Error: "Invalid cast from 'System.String' to 'VMware.VimAutomation.Types.VIObject'."

At :line:29 char:20

+ Move-Inventory -Item <<<< $vm -Destination $folder

I have also tried this the same way as the example in the VI tookit help file with the same error :

#Move-Inventory -Item $vm -Destination (Get-Folder -ID "Folder-group-v3166")

This gets the same errror as above.

$vm is read in from a read-host but I have also tried subbing this with just a vm name and it makes no difference.

Any help would be great thanks!

Packetboy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From what you described it seems that in the $vm variable you keep a string. But the cmdlet expects an object. In order to get that object you'll need to use the corresponding Get- cmdlet (in this case Get-VM). Here are some ways to achieve what you need:

$vm = Get-VM $vmName

Move-Inventory -Item (Get-VM $vmName) -Destination (Get-Folder -ID "Folder-group-v3166")

Move-VM -VM $vmName -Destination (Get-Folder -ID "Folder-group-v3166")

In all three cases in $vmName variable you keep the name of the VM that you want to move (which can be read from Read-Host).

Regards,

Dimitar

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From what you described it seems that in the $vm variable you keep a string. But the cmdlet expects an object. In order to get that object you'll need to use the corresponding Get- cmdlet (in this case Get-VM). Here are some ways to achieve what you need:

$vm = Get-VM $vmName

Move-Inventory -Item (Get-VM $vmName) -Destination (Get-Folder -ID "Folder-group-v3166")

Move-VM -VM $vmName -Destination (Get-Folder -ID "Folder-group-v3166")

In all three cases in $vmName variable you keep the name of the VM that you want to move (which can be read from Read-Host).

Regards,

Dimitar

0 Kudos
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks mate! That was it.. i am still pretty new to powershell so i guess this was a rookie mistake its all working now great Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Packetboy.

0 Kudos