VMware Cloud Community
andrew_p
Contributor
Contributor

Local Administrator Account issues

Hi there, I am deploying machines from a template using the new-vm command and am having issues with setting the local admin account. If i manually deploy from template and use my customization script all works fine, admin account works and it joins the domain.

However if i do this through the script the machine builds fine, but the local administrator password does not work and it is not joined to the domain. I get an error in events stating issues during network setup and to look in the log files on the guest machine. problem is i cant look in the logs if i can't log in.

has anyone else seen this or got any ideas?

cheers, andy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrew_p
Contributor
Contributor

just an update....

After attatching the disk to another machine i was able to extract the log file. The interesting bit is below and the full file attatched.

Read multi_sz value from registry sysprepDecrypter.exe, size 22.

string value from registry sysprepDecrypter.exe.

Returning 1 elements

Going to delete file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysprepDecrypter.exe

Deleted file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysprepDecrypter.exe

Joining domain domain.com using account administrator and password '*****'

A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

Retrying join operation with user =

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 101 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 101 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

', reply='', len=0, status=1

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Customization in progress set to 0 at 2008-Apr-23 17:17:35

Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='', len=0, status=1

SysprepDecrypter has unobfuscated the password successfully

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there, I am deploying machines from a template using the new-vm command and am having issues with setting the local admin account. If i manually deploy from template and use my customization script all works fine, admin account works and it joins the domain.

However if i do this through the script the machine builds fine, but the local administrator password does not work and it is not joined to the domain. I get an error in events stating issues during network setup and to look in the log files on the guest machine. problem is i cant look in the logs if i can't log in.

has anyone else seen this or got any ideas?

cheers, andy

Hi Andy,

Would it be possible to post any of the code you're using? Are you trying to use OS Customization Specs? If so, have you read the details in this thread?

0 Kudos
andrew_p
Contributor
Contributor

hi c_shanklin

cheers for gettin back to me, i havent got access to the code at he moment but, yes i am using a OSCustomizationSpec, but I get this from an existing one in VC using the get method and i then use this in the new-vm statement.

The OSCustomisation script works fine from within VC but just not throught this code. Network wise it is using DHCP. Only a newbie thought, but from the error above it looks like it is having isses with the passwords.

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
NickVH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andy

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. Did you resolve this problem?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos