VMware Cloud Community
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

List of supported parameters\methods per cmdlet?

Hi,

The powercli cmdlets reference CHM file is OK but it does not list all the supported parameters and methods for a Cmdlet.. Is there anywhere this is listed somebody knows of? I am too lazy to mess around with get-member on all these cmdlets I just want to read it and know whats available... Smiley Happy

Any places would be great!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In my opinion Hal's book, Managing VMWare Infrastructure with Windows PowerShell: TFM, is currently the best source for that kind of information.

And there are the reference card from Alan and another one from Icomasoft.

These reference cards show you all PowerCLI cmdlets and their parameter sets, not the methods on the PowerCLI objects.

For the VI .Net objects you have the online API Reference Documentation.

For the vSphere .Net objects you find it in here.

And you can roll your own lists by using the Get-Command and Get-Member cmdlets.

That would in fact be a good PS exercise.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In my opinion Hal's book, Managing VMWare Infrastructure with Windows PowerShell: TFM, is currently the best source for that kind of information.

And there are the reference card from Alan and another one from Icomasoft.

These reference cards show you all PowerCLI cmdlets and their parameter sets, not the methods on the PowerCLI objects.

For the VI .Net objects you have the online API Reference Documentation.

For the vSphere .Net objects you find it in here.

And you can roll your own lists by using the Get-Command and Get-Member cmdlets.

That would in fact be a good PS exercise.

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hmm, some cookie fault caused me to lose my reply and thus let Luc answer my question first. Smiley Happy And I'm not re-typoing it, so there!

Long story short: http://halr9000.com/article/507

[vExpert|http://www.vmware.com/communities/vexpert/], PowerShell MVP, VI Toolkit forum moderator

Author of the book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

Need general, non-VMware-related PowerShell Help? Try the forums at PowerShellCommunity.org

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry Hal. I thought you didn't want to plug your own book, that's why I decided to do it for you Smiley Wink

packetboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey guys!! Wow I got both of the kings of this forum replying to me... I feel special Smiley Happy But I have already bought Hal's book!! Thanks Hal your book is excellent... But I found I needed to go back and read Powershell in action first because I was missing some basic powershell stuff but now I have done that I am back onto your book !!

I will check out all the links you guys gave me and the function you wrote..

Thank you again to both of you for helping out so much in this forum!!

Packetboy.

0 Kudos