VMware Cloud Community
Pinball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

List all installed VMware product versions

Hi there

I have a new challenge and that is to automate site specific documentation. The question is if it's possible to run a powercli script agains 1 or more vc's per loction,  listing all registered solutions with there respective product versions.

IE:

vCenter:     vcname     5.5.0 Build 2183111

VUM          vumserver

vRO           vroname     5.5.2 Build ....

SRM

vRA

The intention is to output the above details to exels. (the easy part)

Thanks

Johan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can always query the vCenter server for what is visible under Programs and Features.

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* |

where {$_.Publisher -match 'VMware'} |

Sort-Object -Property DisplayName | 

Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, InstallDate |

Format-Table -Property * -AutoSize 

But, isn't a report on the license usage in vSphere sufficient for your requirement ?

See Alan's Retrieving License keys from Multiple vCenters

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Pinball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI Luc

Thank you for the speedy reply as always.

Mm, after posting this i thought this might be easier via the API as the assumption could be that we use only appliances where possible and they will mostly all be registered to a vc or multiple.

Example:

vRA 6.x using the same SSO as VCSA with external vRO .......

So the windows will work for all installed products on that VC but not any of the other registered external components.

Thanks again

Johan

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Correct, but these appliances should have a license in vCenter, so did you try Alan's script ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Pinball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Luc

I did yes, but licensing doesn't seem to have any knowlage of the detailed product version installed at the current point in time and that is the main detail i'm after.

In the Webclient some products get listed under "Server Extensions" but again there only some gets listed and not the full detailed version.

Johan

0 Kudos
Pinball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Luc

I found most of the information I was after with the below commands. I think the only problem i'll have is that vCAC/vRA doesn't actually register with VC so that might have to be a separate check, but for the rest it should work.

$ExtensionManager = Get-View ExtensionManager

$ExtensionManager.ExtensionList | Select-Object @{Name='Description';Expression={$_.Description.Label}},Key,Company,Version | Sort-Object Description

Not all the versions is detailed or complete but i can work with it.

Thank you for looking at this.

Johan

0 Kudos