VMware Cloud Community
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

License Failure and DVUplink False Positive Error

I am getting a couple of errors I was hoping to get some opinions on.

License Section:

In my script I get an entityId error when the licensing section runs, but if I try this same syntax without the variables by typing directly into the PS window - it executes fine.

foreach ($vmhost in $vmhost_array) {

Write-Host "Adding New Host - " $vmhost "to vCenter..."

Add-VMHost $vmhost -Location $cluster -User $user -Password $passwd -RunAsync -force:$true | Out-Null

Write-Host "Adding License to New Host - " $vmhost "..."

Set-VMHost -VMHost $vmhost -LicenseKey $esx_license | Out-Null

}

Set-VMHost : 11/18/2017 5:56:54 PM      Set-VMHost              A specified parameter was not correct: entityId

At C:\Documents\PowerCLI\Config.ps1:24 char:1

+ Set-VMHost -VMHost $vmhost -LicenseKey $esx_license | Out-Null

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VMHost], InvalidArgument

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ViCore_ComputeResourceServiceImpl_UpdateHostLicense_ServerError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.SetVMHost

DVUplink Section:

I get the error for this section of the script but it actually configures the port groups as expected.  I have also noticed that if a DVSwitch is created via GUI the uplinks are named "Uplink 1" and "Uplink 2" respectively but if the DVSwitch is created via PowerCLI then the uplinks are named "dvUplink1" and "dvUplink2" respectively.  Any thoughts on whats causing the false positive? Or is it even a false positive?

Write-Host "Creating vMotion Port Group for" $vds_name "..."

New-VDPortgroup -VDSwitch $vds_name -Name $esx_vmotion_PG -VlanId 6 | Out-Null

Write-Host "Setting vMotion Port Group Teaming Policy..."

Get-VDPortgroup $esx_vmotion_PG | Get-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy | Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy -ActiveUplinkPort "dvUplink1" -StandbyUplinkPort "dvUplink2" -UnusedUplinkPort "dvUplink3","dvUplink4" -LoadBalancingPolicy ExplicitFailover | Out-Null

Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy : 11/18/2017 5:57:35 PM       Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy               A specified parameter was not correct: spec.uplinkTeamingPolicy.uplinkPortOrder.activeUplinkPort. The activeUplink

PortName value :

dvUplink1 is not valid in the spec.uplinkTeamingPolicy.uplinkPortOrder.activeUplinkPort.

At C:\Documents\PowerCLI\Config.ps1:51 char:64

+ ... ingPolicy | Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy -ActiveUplinkPort "dvUplink1" - ...

+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.Vds.Commands.Cmdlets.SetVDUplinkTeamingPolicy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I was able to replicate the error you are seeing on the teaming policy.

When I have a portgroup with the same name on another VDS, I get the exact same error. The error is for the other portgroup, and the configuration is applied on the new portgroup on the new VDS.

To avoid that, explictely specify the VDS.

Like this

Get-VDPortgroup $esx_vmotion_PG -VDSwitch $vds_name | Get-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy |

Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy -ActiveUplinkPort dvUplink1,dvUplink2 -UnusedUplinkPort dvUplink3,dvUplink4

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which PowerCLI version are you using?

And which vSphere/ESXi version?

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

PowerCLI 6.5.1 build 5377412

vSphere 6.5U1

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Both code snippets seem to be working for me.

1) Since you add the ESXi node, perhaps it would be better to wait (in a loop) till the ESXi node is marked as "connected" before taking any further actions on it?

2) I can only simulate that behaviour when I use the incorrect uplinkname, and that is also what the error message seems to suggest.

As a test, you check if the uplinkname you are using is present in the list of uplinkportnames.

$vdsName = 'MyVds'

Get-VDSwitch -Name $vdsName | Get-VDPortgroup | where{$_.IsUplink} | Get-VDPort | select Name

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

1) I'm not sure how to do a wait condition, so I may just create a separate loop for setting the licenses and just add all the hosts followed by adding all the licenses.  Is one method typically recommended over the other?

2) Here is the output of the Uplinks on this switch...crazy right?

Name

----

dvUplink4

dvUplink3

dvUplink2

dvUplink1

dvUplink4

dvUplink3

dvUplink2

dvUplink1

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1) For the wait loop you could do something simple like

Add-VMHost $vmhost -Location $cluster -User $user -Password $passwd -RunAsync -force:$true | Out-Null

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name $vmhost

while($esx.State -ne 'Connected'){

sleep 2

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name $vmhost

}

Set-VMHost -VMHost $esx -LicenseKey $esx_license | Out-Null

Or eventually leave out the RunAsync switch on the Add-VMHost.

2) Did you check that the active uplink you specify is also one of the uplinks that is used by the connected ESXi nodes?

barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

1)  I'll remove the Async and see what happens then do the wait loop if I still run into issues.

2)  So what I am doing with the Uplinks is creating the DVSwitch with 4 uplinks then assigning the port groups to the DVSwitch to setup a specific teaming policy as the port groups are created.  So in this scenario there are not actual vmnics associated to them yet - so that as the hosts vmnics are added to the DVSwitch they will inherit the portgroup teaming policies.  It's assigning them correctly I just get an error for every port group created.

# Create VDS

Write-Host "Creating new VDS" $vds_name "..."

$vds = New-VDSwitch -Name $vds_name -Location $datacenter -NumUplinkPorts 4 -Mtu 9000

## Set Network IO Control to Enabled on VDS

Write-Host "Setting Network IO Control to" $vds_name "..."

(get-vdswitch $vds_name | get-view).EnableNetworkResourceManagement($true)

### Start Creating VDS Port Groups###

## Management Port Group

Write-Host "Creating Management Port Group for" $vds_name "..."

New-VDPortgroup -VDSwitch $vds_name -Name $esx_mgmt_PG -VlanId 5 | Out-Null

Write-Host "Setting Management Port Group Teaming Policy..."

Get-VDPortgroup $esx_mgmt_PG | Get-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy | Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy -ActiveUplinkPort dvUplink1,dvUplink2 -UnusedUplinkPort dvUplink3,dvUplink4 -LoadBalancingPolicy LoadBalanceSrcId | Out-Null

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I was able to replicate the error you are seeing on the teaming policy.

When I have a portgroup with the same name on another VDS, I get the exact same error. The error is for the other portgroup, and the configuration is applied on the new portgroup on the new VDS.

To avoid that, explictely specify the VDS.

Like this

Get-VDPortgroup $esx_vmotion_PG -VDSwitch $vds_name | Get-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy |

Set-VDUplinkTeamingPolicy -ActiveUplinkPort dvUplink1,dvUplink2 -UnusedUplinkPort dvUplink3,dvUplink4

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ah! Yep that makes complete sense, thanks as usual!

0 Kudos