VMware Cloud Community
jzim
Contributor
Contributor

Join 2 Existing vCenter Servers By Enhanced Linked Mode

I have 2 vcetners already up and running and want to join them together using enhanced linked mode. I know that there is a tool that I can use: cmsso-util domain-repoint. Is there a powercli commandlet that I can use to do this operation?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik there is no such cmdlet.
But you can run the cmsso-util domain-repoint command on your VCSA through PowerCLI.
Since the VCSA runs the VMware Tools, you can use the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet to run the command.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
jzim
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I am missing something but I don't think invoke-vmscript will work. 

- When I set the script text to the cmsso-util command that works, the invoke-vmscript fails it looks like several environment variables are not set. Causing the script not to run.

- Also cmsso-util requires you to enter passwords, how do we pass them in using invoke-vmscript. Is there a work around for this?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the trick with the echo command to the pipeline to provide a password over stdin.

As an alternative, my Invoke-VMScriptPlus does allow you to pass environment variables, if needed.
And you can pass a multi-line bash script.

0 Kudos
BBB36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think you can join two or more vCenters in ELM after they've been deployed. You can only do this during deployment. The cmsso-util domain-repoint command can be used for vCenters that are already in the same SSO domain. 

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik, from vCenter 6.7U1 onwards you can.

0 Kudos
BBB36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Really? I just took the VCP exam and it still says you couldn't as the correct answer. OK then, I stand corrected! Thanks LucD.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I used this doc Repoint vCenter Server to Another vCenter Server in a Different Domain (vmware.com)
That section is present since 6.7

0 Kudos
BBB36
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow. OK. I definitely missed that. Thanks so much for the link, LucD. 

0 Kudos