VMware Cloud Community
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues with running Get-Service on a remote VM

Hello,

I'm trying to create a script that will run the Get-Service command on a VM.  If I just want to look at all services that's rather easy by having this in the script:

$script = "Get-Service -Name *"

Invoke-VMScript -vm $vm -ScriptText $script -ScriptType PowerShell -GuestCredential $GuestCredential | sort Name | Format-List | Out-File $log -append

With all the other proper stuff, like VM name, guest credentials, etc.  However that can be a huge list and I want to have an option to select either running or stopped services as well.  I notice when I run this command on my local machine it works properly:

Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like 'Running'}

But when I put that into the $script line above and run it on a VM it throws this:

.Status : The term '.Status' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or

operable program.

Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try

again.

At line:1 char:20

+ & {Get-Service | ?{.Status -like 'Running'}}

+                    ~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (.Status:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

So I'm not quite sure why it fails like that when running on a VM.  Here's what I have in the script:

Get-Datacenter -Name $dc[$answer - 1].Name | Get-Folder -Type "VM" | sort Name | Format-Table
$myfolder = Read-Host "Select a folder"
Get-Folder "$myfolder" | Get-VM | sort Name | Format-Table
$vm = Read-Host "Enter VM Name" #Enter VM name#

$log = Read-Host "Enter a log file name i.e. services.txt"
$GuestCredential = Get-Credential -Message 'Enter the credentials to access the VM' #Provide Guest OS credentials

$servicesanswer = 0

Write-Host "1 for started services"
Write-Host "2 for stopped services"
Write-Host "3 for all services"

while(1,2,3 -notcontains $servicesanswer) {
$servicesanswer = Read-Host "Select the services you wish to view"
}

if($servicesanswer -eq 1){
  $script = "Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like Running}"
  Invoke-VMScript -vm $vm -ScriptText $script -ScriptType PowerShell -GuestCredential $GuestCredential | sort Name | Format-List | Out-File $log -append
  }
elseif($serviceanswer -eq 2){
  $script = "Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like Stopped}"
  }
elseif($serviceanswer -eq 3){
  }

I had also noticed when I would select option 2 or 3 it would go to the loop at the end of the script and want to start over or exit.  I've tried changing those elseif's to just 'if' but that didn't make a difference either.  What am I missing here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The reason for the failure is variable substitution inside a double-quoted string.

PS will replace variables in a double-quoted string with the value in the variable.

But since $_ is $null on the side where you run the script, this will result in a string with "Get-Service | ?{.Status -like Running}" being sent with the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet.

inside single quoted strings, that variable substitution will not happen.

So replace that line with

$script = 'Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like Running}'

and the line of code will transferred to the guest OS of the VM as you intended.

Similar solution for the other commands that contain a $.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi LucD,

So when I just did what you had shown without any quotes around the Running part it still threw an error.  If I put " " around Running and single quotes around the rest it works, but only for option one.  Option 2 or 3 never run and I don't understand why.  Here's what I have now:

while(1,2,3 -notcontains $servicesanswer) {

$servicesanswer = Read-Host "Select the services you wish to view"

}

$script = 'Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like "Running"}'

}

elseif($serviceanswer -eq 2){

$script = 'Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like "Stopped"}'

}

elseif($serviceanswer -eq 3){

}

It basically skips the last 2 options when I try to run them and goes to the loop on if I want to continue the script or exit it.  I've tried changing elseif to just if, but no change.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Your variable for option 2 and 3 is not correct, it should say $servicesanswer instead of $serviceanswer

$script = 'Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like "Running"}'

}

elseif($servicesanswer -eq 2){

$script = 'Get-Service | ?{$_.Status -like "Stopped"}'

}

elseif($servicesanswer -eq 3){

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos