VMware Cloud Community
BattleNerd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues with Command Execution never completing

Hello!

Since moving to vCenter 6.5 U1 from vCenter 5.5 and updating PowerCLI from 5.1 to 6.5.3 (and 6.5.4) I'm noticing some commands either taking forever to execute or never completing an execution.

We are a smaller enviornment vCSA Appliance is set to Medium build, we have 6 hosts w/ only 200 VM's.

I've only noticed this execution issue with Tag commands either trying to assign or even get tags from any type of object (VM or Datastore)

Has anyone experienced this or know how I can go about getting the execution to run better?

To keep it simple I would load the datastore into a variable and apply that variable to the get-tagassignment cmdlet.

Any help would be great as I have a project to manage Tag assignments but do not wish for it to take forever Smiley Sad Thanks!

UPDATE: So I used a MSI version of PowerCLI 6.5.1 on a different server, and the command completes but I get this for any TAG cmdlet...

pastedImage_4.png

Same error for get-tag or new-tagassignment gets this error.... Anyone know why?

pastedImage_5.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Tag cmdlets are indeed slow, which is probably why someone launched an idea about it (which you should upvote).

Did you already check if access to the tags via the REST API is faster?

You can use the Connect-CisServer and then Get-CisService, but I'm afraid there aren't a lot of samples out yet.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos