VMware Cloud Community
SProthero
Contributor
Contributor

Issue? With thick provisioned SAN or hypervisor disks being treated as thin provisioned?

We run vsphere 5.  The iSCSI san volume hosting a single VM is provisioned as "thick" at the SAN.  The VM has 3 vdisks, all provisioned AND showing up in vcenter as "thick."  Yet we just experienced the over provisioning problem that can happen with thin provisioning.  The VM has 4 vdisks totalling 240GB on a SAN volume that 'had' (no increased to 500GB) 325GB of total space.  The VM had 1 snapshot.  Actual changed blocks were like 60GB using up some 300GB of the 325GB on the volume.  But the VM locked up and Vcenter showed over 400GB of space provisioned.  The datastore usage alarm was enabled and set at defaults...but failed to alert me.  I got it working simply by editing the alarm and clicking OK.  I immediately got the disk space alerts in the email that had been configured.  I never saw this problem with a past and different SAN vendor under Vsphere 4 even with a similar SQL based VM that was even larger and including more than 1 snapshot.  Perhaps the alarms worked as intended and we just adjusted SAN volume sizes upwards as needed.  But relative size wise, disk space in use was about the same with about the same targeted amount of reserve space I always build into my SAN volumes (while VMware may recommend having 30% reserve space on a SAN volume, I've always been a bit more aggressive with a min. of 20%...more if reasonable to accommodate it). 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Are there any other VM related files, like for example a swap file, located on the datastore ?

Did you check the actual sizes of all the files via the datastore browser ?

Or check with the script from my yadr – A vdisk reporter post.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
SProthero
Contributor
Contributor

Yes..swapfile.  I Believe shown on the attached doc.  Only like 8GB and doesn't explain why so much is provisioned when a snapshot happens when the actual snapped vdisks are sized as you would expect them to be...only representing changed blocks.  

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Oops, didn't see there was a 2nd screenshot in that doc.

You are aware that you need to look at the Size column, and not the Provisioned Size column, I assume ?

The size Provisioned Size column shows what is actually used.

Or run the script in my post, that looks at the actual files that make up a VMDK (the DS Browser doesn't show the actual files)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
SProthero
Contributor
Contributor

From an email I just sent to my managed service provider which might explain what I'm trying to convey better:

The volume was at 302gb of space.  On the morning after the lock up, I thought I remember seeing the volume overprovisioned in the provisioned size value of over 500GB.  The screen shot from xxx though shows 489 provisioned (again over allocated). My DBA didn’t create another snapshot.  He copied the  DB of about 9GB and started a job that would have caused the active original DB of 9GB to grow but not to have eaten up the more than 25GB of free that should have been there (302GB – the 276 in use by all VMDK’s VSWP files, logs etc but not the snapshot files). The snapshot filled that space and then some.  My point is that vsphere 5, in this case, in order to accommodate even 1 snapshot, seemed to have automatically instituted thin provisioning principles to over allocate a volume (up to a point).  I’m still asking the question about “is this different in vsphere 5…I say it is and which requires looking under the hood more on what is really going on with a volume and not just looking at a VM and checking the san status of what total size is and how much free space is left.  In your email:

“.  If you leave snapshots around, they can grow up to the size of the original disk.  That’s why you’re seeing thin provisioning; it’s for the snapshots.  The disks are thick provisioned, but there wasn’t enough space to thick provision the snapshots (if that’s possible).”

If you create a snapshot and don’t create another…how can the original snapshot grow?  That is what is being impliedand what would explain having the volume run out of space…xxx actions didn’t fill up the space…but if the snapshot was dynamically and automatically updated/increased due to xxx copying a file that was there at the time of snapshots and or the original DB growing due to a job that was running…then I “get it” now.  But to me, I still say this is new functionality in vsphere 5 that didn’t exist in 4.1.  I’d rather have VMware tell me that there is NOT enough space to accommodate a snapshot than use this thing provisioning angle (which is a surprise).  Now it will let you but unless you look more closely, you won’t know how dangerous a situation you may be in…the very risk you take when you explicitly choose a thin provisioning route on your san volume and/or VMDK’s.  It will let you overprovision storage but at any moment, something could tip the scales resulting in zero space left.

So I think I can distill my "question" down to the following:

So I’m clearer now but still need a couple of basic questions answered so I fully understand:

1. Is this a new feature of vsphere 5 to automatically use thin provisioning with snapshots, allowing you in many cases to create a snapshot on a thick provisioned volume that would in the past or ordinarily exceed the amount of free space? Does 4.1 and earlier allow this?  I didn't think so to my recollection...if not enough free space the snapshot was denied.
  2. Where are the changes to the snapshot(s) being written?  To a hidden “delta’ file that was exposed in previous versions?  In some dynamic thin provisioned space?
  3. Is there a way to turn off this thin provisioning behavior? What if we just wanted “old school” behavior to NOT allow any snapshot if there isn’t enough free space to accommodate the amount of changed blocks in the snapshot about to be taken?

If there is a "hidden" delta file, then I can see the value of your script to expose them...

0 Kudos
SProthero
Contributor
Contributor

Now I'm really ticked off.  vsphere 5 or my different san vendor is doing something different.  I just ran out of space on a different SAN volume because absolutely something is treating everything like it is thin provisioned when neither the SAN volume or the VMDK of the VM is explicitly configured that way.  I've now expierienced full volume conditions in a few weeks less than I did over 4 yrs with vsphere 4 following the same operational and volume configuration practices.  I can work around this by building in WAY extra space on the SAN volume among other tactics.  I'd simply like to get some confirmation or other than indeed, vmware has changed something in vsphere 5-5.1

0 Kudos