VMware Cloud Community
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

Iscsi multipathing

I'm following the VMware iSCSI SAN Configuration Guide to configure Iscsi multi-pathing and I come to a part where it says to use CLI to send this command "esxcli swiscsi nic add -n ". I have CLI setup and I'm connected to the host. When I enter the command listed above I get "The term 'esxcli' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet.........". It's frustrating because the document assumes that I'm a CLI expert but I'm really a beginner. I'd need more step by step details of how to configure this in CLI. Any help you be very appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

What is your storage?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

It's a test environment running with OpenFiler.

0 Kudos
ykalchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

esxcli command is part of vSphere CLI product not vSphere PowerCLI.

If you want to use PowerCLI to configure iscsi you can check this post

Regards,

Yasen

Yasen Kalchev, vSM Dev Team
0 Kudos
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

I a real beginner at esxcli so please can someone help me? I ran this: esxcli --server siscesxtest --username root vicfg-vmknic -l

It ask me for the password which I enter and then right after it gives me the list of options. I'm getting really frustrated because the iscsi guides for Vsphere assume you're a cli expert and don't really walk you through it.

Please help!

0 Kudos
s_buerger
Contributor
Contributor

Just use:

vicfg-vmknic.pl --server siscesxtest --username root -l

I'm using the windows version of cli and there are some perl scripts in the bin folder, they can be used directly.

Aside this there is the esxcli.exe that runs commands on the esx server (for commands where there is no perl script in cli).

0 Kudos
fmajowich
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an equal command in PowerCLI to this command?

esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk2 -d vmhba33

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is not currently a cmdlet to let you do that, though the example you have is possible in the API (if you can figure it out, not very trivial unfortunately).

I should also mention that some stuff in esxcli is not possible through vSphere API at all, especially stuff around the so-called pluggable storage architecture.

=====

Carter Shanklin

Read the PowerCLI Blog
[Follow me on Twitter|http://twitter.com/cshanklin]

0 Kudos
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

Does esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk2 -d vmhba33 work in vSphere CLI? Or do I need to add a .pl like" esxcli swiscsi.pl --server siscesxxxx -- username root nic add -n vmk2 -d vmhba33"

I would really appreciate if someone could just type out the command in it's entirety to leave me no doubt. I'm trying to setup IScsi multipathing and I'd like to be sure not to screw up my network.

0 Kudos
gzulauf
Contributor
Contributor

Carter-

You mention that this is "possible" if using the API. Would you be able to post a small example of how to do this? This is the only portion I am unable to script for our installations. It's forcing me to login to a VMA.

0 Kudos