VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is w2008 SP1 64bit genuinely NOT supported in vSphere Powercli 5.1 release 1

I experienced extremely slow response from a vCenter server when running a powercli script against it.  Took forever to even connect to the server when launching the app.  I became concerned and started poking around at the server, noticed RAM was exhausted but what else is new with vCenter right??   Then I took a look at the release notes for Powercli 5.1 r1 and saw that w2008 Sp1 64bit didn't make the list, only w2008 SP1 32bit was there....

First - the release notes have the heading SUPPORTED PLATFORMS and this where is I don't see w2008SP1 64bit, but is this referring to supported platforms for installation of the product?

The product installed but took forever.. and when launching the app it takes forever to  connect to the local host...

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on what is stated in the release notes of this product and their experiences with installing the product and then running scripts from this OS version..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, that OS is officially not supported by PowerCLI 5.1 R1 afaik.

Do you get the same behavior with PowerCLI 5.5 R1 ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, that OS is officially not supported by PowerCLI 5.1 R1 afaik.

Do you get the same behavior with PowerCLI 5.5 R1 ?

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have not tried 5.5 - dont' think I will w2008 is once again not  on the list.  I decided it would be best to uninstall but it the uninstall won't complete. not good.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Where did you see that list of supported OS ?

In the Release Notes it only seems to say that W8 and W2K12 are now supported.

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The release notes point you to the user guide, where in the installation instructions the supported OSs for installation  are listed.  I did manage to get it uninstalled from the current w2008 server with some trickery.  the uninstall just hung so I had to kill it, then in order  to get the desktop shortcuts deleted I had to copy the shortcut into the public desktop folder then could clean up the uninstall.  Unfortunately w2008 64bit is a pretty popularly deployed OS for vCenter 4.x installations  so this really bites if you are looking to deploy the app on the vCenter server to get better performance from scripts (I find when taking the network out of the picture scripts against vcenter run much faster)

Oh well, already found another machine to reinstall and get my upgrade scripts ready.  Thanks LucD. 

0 Kudos