VMware Cloud Community
0x7C0
Contributor
Contributor

Invoke-VMscript works only while logged in

Hello,

I've a very strange problem while using "Invoke-VMScript" through PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 build 4624819 to my Windows Server 2012R2. The command is only executed, if I'm logged in on the console or using rdp with the same user i specified for the "-GuestCredential" parameter.

If I'm not logged in with the same user, I can see that a cmd.exe Process is spawned by vmtoolsd.exe which in turn starts powershell.exe, but my commands are not executed.

cmd.exe and poewershell.exe are both assigned to the correct user.

Has anyone an idea, what is going on here and how to fix this?

PowerCLI vis:\*********\> Get-PowerCLIVersion

PowerCLI Version
----------------
   VMware PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 build 4624819
---------------
Component Versions
---------------
   VMware Cis Core PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624453
   VMware VimAutomation Core PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624450
   VMWare ImageBuilder PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4561891
   VMWare AutoDeploy PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4561891
   VMware Vds PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624695
   VMware Cloud PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624821
   VMware HA PowerCLI Component 6.0 build 4525225
   VMware HorizonView PowerCLI Component 7.0.2 build 4596620
   VMware Licensing PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624822
   VMware PCloud PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624825
   VMware Storage PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624820
   VMware vROps PowerCLI Component 6.5 build 4624824
   VMware vSphere Update Manager PowerCLI 6.5 build 4540462

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already check the Windows eventlogs?
There might be an indication why starting the cmd with that account fails.

You could also add the Verbose switch, and see if that gives extra clues.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
0x7C0
Contributor
Contributor

If I use -Verbose the output is:

pastedImage_3.png

The Windows Eventlog on the vm doesn't show anything special.

Application Eventlog:

vmtoolsd: Username and password successfully validated for MyUserName

Security Eventlog:

Ein Konto wurde erfolgreich angemeldet.

Antragsteller:

Sicherheits-ID: SYSTEM

Kontoname: MyServerName$

Kontodomäne: MyDomain

Anmelde-ID: 0x3E7

Anmeldetyp: 2

Identitätswechselebene: Identitätswechsel

Neue Anmeldung:

Sicherheits-ID: MyDomain\MyUsername

Kontoname: MyUsername

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Einer neuen Anmeldung wurden besondere Rechte zugewiesen.

Antragsteller:

Sicherheits-ID: MyDomain\MyUser

Kontoname: MyUser

Kontodomäne: MyDomain

Anmelde-ID: 0x61907D6

Berechtigungen: SeSecurityPrivilege

SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

SeLoadDriverPrivilege

SeBackupPrivilege

SeRestorePrivilege

SeDebugPrivilege

SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege

SeImpersonatePrivilege

From PowerShell Eventlog VMWare Tools run the following command:

powershell -NonInteractive -EncodedCommand cABvAHcAZQByAHMAaABlAGwAbAAuAGUAeABlACAALQBPAHUAdABwAHUAdABGAG8AcgBtAGEAdAAgAHQAZQB4AHQAIAAtAE4AbwBuAEkAbgB0AGUAcgBhAGMAdABpAHYAZQAgAC0AQwBvAG0AbQBhAG4AZAAgACcAJgAgAHsAJABQAFMAVgBlAHIAcwBpAG8AbgBUAGEAYgBsAGUAfQAnACAAPgAgACIAQwA6AFwAVwBpAG4AZABvAHcAcwBcAFQARQBNAFAAXABwAG8AdwBlAHIAYwBsAGkAdgBtAHcAYQByAGUAMQA0ADEAIgA7ACAAZQB4AGkAdAAgACQAbABhAHMAdABlAHgAaQB0AGMAbwBkAGUA

The Encoded Part translates to:

powershell.exe -OutputFormat text -NonInteractive -Command '& {$PSVersionTable}' > "C:\Windows\TEMP\powerclivmware141"; exit $lastexitcode

If I'm logged in with the same user, I see the following process tree:

VMtools => CMD => PowerShell => Powershell

If I'm not logged in the process tree is as following:

VMtools => CMD => PowerShell

Everything marked bold above is run by my test user, so spawning processes with that credentials works fine, but for some reasons the PowerShell process that otherwise is spawned from PowerShell isn't started. This happens even on a newly installed Windows 2012 R2 VM with VMware tools.

Edit: Now I found something useful in the logs. VMware-vmsvc loggs to C:\Windows\vmware-vmsc the following:

[Mai 04 15:55:03.192] [ warning] [vix] VixToolsPrintFileExtendedInfo: Posix_Stat(C:\Windows\TEMP\powerclivmware199) failed with 2

[Mai 04 15:55:03.192] [ message] [vix] VixToolsInitiateFileTransferFromGuest: opcode 188 returning 0

Now I also tried giving everyone full Access to C:\Windows\Temp, but that doesn't help neither. I can see how to that file gets created and deleted, but Invoke-VMscript is still not outputting anything...

Edit 2: Now I found a workaround the following works:

dir | Invoke-VMScript -ScriptType Bat -ScriptText 'call powershell.exe -Command import-module Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility; Write-Host "test"' -GuestCredential $guestCredential

But the following doesn't return anything, in fact, the commands provided in the ScriptText parameter are not even executed:

Invoke-VMScript -ScriptType Powershell -ScriptText 'import-module Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility; Write-Host "test"' -GuestCredential $guestCredential

Edit 3: I think I found the bug, the way how VMware invokes powershell seams to cause it to fail while loading some essential modules. "Microsoft.PowerShell.Management", "Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility". So the "> C:\Windows\temp\powerclivmware199" part fails with the error:

pastedImage_3.png

The above error is not really from the process that is spawned by VMware, but by the same way VMware Tools does to take on the identity of the user. I used Process Hacker to "Run as this user" on the process VMware spawned. But I'm very confident, that this is exaclty what happens with the Powershell process that is spawned by the VMware Tools.

After that I tried to Import the failing module using -Debug, so i was able to trace it down to the Import of the alias.

Here is a screenshot comparing the outputs of the two imports on the top in a "normal" powershell and on the bottom in an similarly invoked powershell (like VMware does)

pastedImage_5.png

I think, this is a bug, that only VMware can solve. Maybe it only ocures because I updated powershell to Version 5 manually using KB3134758, which is not installed on 2012R2 by Default. But I have no System to test that right now.

0 Kudos
Dudethatrocks
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the reply to an old post but I'm having the exact same issue on W2K R2 server with powershell 4.0 on the guest.

I've used 'invoke-vmscript' at least a hundred times in many environments without this problem...  I'm still looking for a solution so if you have a solution in the meantime, please share.

Thakns in advance.

0 Kudos