VMware Cloud Community
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Invoke-VMScript - "Please install VIX if you want to use this functionality."

I am attempting to use this command for the first time on a bunch of Windows XP VMs. I am running the command from a Windows 7 workstation running PowerCli 4.0U1. Here's the command I am running taken from Carter's Youtube video on the topic:

get-vm DRWS-awd | Invoke-VMScript -HostCredential $hc -GuestCredential $gc -ScriptType Bat dir

Here is the error:

Invoke-VMScript : 2/11/2010 9:35:12 AM Invoke-VMScript The requested

operation could not be performed because VIX is not installed on this machine.

Please install VIX if you want to use this functionality.

At line:1 char:34

I have previous set the credentials for both variables using the get-credential command. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

VIX is installed together with PowerCLU 4u1.

Didn't you get the message during the PowerCLI installation ?

You could try a reinstall of PowerCLI to get VIX installed.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had done a repair install earlier to see if that would fix the error message, and that did not fix the problem. In response to your message, I uninstalled and reinstalled the 208462v of PowerCLi again, and the error still occurred. There was no option during the install process to install or not to install Vix api. All other Powershell scripts work fine on this workstation.

I tried the code from a Windows 2003 host, and it worked.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You're right, the message about the VIX installation doesn't appear on a Windows 7 client.

That's probably why Windows 7 is not listed in the supported platforms in the Release Notes

bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll have to keep my 2003 server's powershell intact then until the Win7 compatible version comes out.

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

Invoke-VMScript works fine on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits PC. But you need to use the 32-bits version of PowerCLI. The 64-bits version gives the next error: "Invoke-VMScript : This cmdlet requres x86 architecture. Please run PowerShell in 32bit mode."

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Perhaps VIX was installed manually on your Windows 7 client ?

Can you check in Programs and Features ?

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

I got the "VIX is not installed" message on a Windows XP PC. So I tried to uninstall PowerCLI 4.0U1and install it again on that PC. The installation went fine but afterwards Invoke-VMScript still gave the same error. In the application eventlog I see an information message with event ID 11708 and description:

"The description for Event ID ( 11708 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: VMware VIX -- Installation operation failed., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), , ."

Now I have to figure out why the VIX installation failed...

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

@LucD PowerCLI and VIX had a different install date on my Windows 7 PC. Probably because I first installed PowerCLI 4.0 and installed v4.0U1 later. So I uninstalled both PowerCLI and VIX. Then I installed PowerCLI 4.0U1 which also installed VIX. Now PowerCLI and VIX have the same install date, today. Invoke-VMScript works fine again. So Windows 7 is not the problem.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You're right.

Just tested again on a Windows 7 client and the VIX message appeared and VIX was installed.

I did do an uninstall and cleanup before.

Perhaps my previous attempt found some VIX traces on the client.

I don't know how the installation program decides if VIX is already installed or nor.

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried to remove and reinstall PowerCLi with a different compatibility level (Vista and XP) and with "run as administrator" on both the install / program execution with no success. I do have the Interop.VixCOM.dll file in my PowerCli directory, and tried manually registering the DLL as well. No success on anything I have tried.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That's not the DLL that comes with VIX.

There should be a separate VMware VIX folder and in the should be a VixCOM.dll file.

Are there any MSI errors in the eventlog when you reinstall PowerCLI 4u1 ?

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No separate Vix directories are installed, and no visible errors during the installation. There is an error in the event log that references the MSIInstaller at roughly the time of installation. It however could not be more vague:

Log Name: Application

Source: MsiInstaller

Date: 2/12/2010 9:31:43 AM

Event ID: 1032

Task Category: None

Level: Warning

Keywords: Classic

User: xx\xxx

Computer: xxx.xxx.com

Description:

An error occured while refreshing environment variables updated during the installation of ''. Some users logged on to the machine may not see these changes until they log off and then log back on.

Event Xml:

0 Kudos