VMware Cloud Community
Grrmmll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Invoke-VMScript not working on Debian 9

Hello,

I'm currently trying to automate some things on VMs when then don't have network access through Invoke-VMScript, and I have some issues on Debian 9.

No problem with other distribs, and even no problem with debian 8, but with debian 9, I have a nice error message.

Invoke-VMScript         Error occured while executing script on guest OS in VM 'dumb-rabbit_99994'. Could not locate "Powershell" script interpreter in any of the expected locations. Probably you do not have enough permissions to execute command within guest

If I activate the log at debug level in vmtools, no entry when I try to use invoke script.

If I look at /var/messages/vmware-vmsvc.log, I see :

[Oct 17 12:44:25.606] [ message] [vix] VixTools_ProcessVixCommand: command 181

[Oct 17 12:44:25.618] [ message] [vix] VixToolsCreateTempFile: opcode 181 returning 0

[Oct 17 12:44:25.649] [ message] [vix] VixTools_ProcessVixCommand: command 185

[Oct 17 12:44:25.657] [ message] [vix] VixTools_StartProgram: opcode 185 returning 4

[Oct 17 12:44:25.688] [ message] [vix] VixTools_ProcessVixCommand: command 194

[Oct 17 12:44:25.696] [ message] [vix] VixToolsDeleteObject: opcode 194 returning 0

Tested on vSphere 6 (vCenter build 5318200, ESXi build 5572656, VMTools 10.1.5 build 5055683 and also lastest open-vm-tools coming with the distrib)

Am I missing something on the server or is Invoke-VMScript not working on Debian 9 (yet) ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you use the ScriptType parameter?

The message seems to indicate that it is looking for PowerShell, on a Linux box, unless you have PowerShell Core, you should use -ScriptType bash.

Can you perhaps share the line where you call Invoke-VMScript?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you use the ScriptType parameter?

The message seems to indicate that it is looking for PowerShell, on a Linux box, unless you have PowerShell Core, you should use -ScriptType bash.

Can you perhaps share the line where you call Invoke-VMScript?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

Grrmmll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you, with -scripttype bash, this is working fine.

(Line : Invoke-VMScript -ScriptText $Script -VM $VM -GuestCredential $GuestCredentials -scriptType bash)

I didn't think about it because without this option, this was working fine for other distribs.

0 Kudos
omjiverma98
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

It helped me a lot.

0 Kudos