VMware Cloud Community
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

Invoke-VMScript Error

I keep getting error messages when I run a VM deploy script

Invoke-VMScript : 2020-03-18 15:34:32 Invoke-VMScript The guest operations agent could not be contacted. At C:\SCRIPTS\DEPLOY VM\Deploy-VM.ps1:200 char:1 + Invoke-VMScript -ScriptText $Add2ADGroup -VM $Hostname -GuestCredenti ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-VMScript], GuestOperationsUnavailable + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VmGuestServiceImpl_GetProcessOutputInGuest_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore. Cmdlets.Commands.InvokeVmScript

I have tried this to get the VM to check that VMware Tools is up and running:

Invoke-VMScript -ScriptText $Add2ADGroup -VM $Hostname -GuestCredential $VMLocalCredential 
Start-Sleep -Seconds 120 
Wait-Tools -VM $Hostname -TimeoutSeconds 300

0 Kudos
13 Replies
jpsider
Expert
Expert

It appears that Guest Operations is not available. Does the VM have vmware tools installed an running at the time you run your script?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Is port 902 open between your station and the ESXi node on which the VM is running?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

Yes It's running....
0 Kudos
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

902 is open yes
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

As a debugging tool, can you run the same with my Invoke-VMScriptPlus with the Verbose switch?

That function tends to give more verbose information back.

0 Kudos
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

How do I incorporate Invoke-VMScriptPlus in my script? 

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Copy the function and add it at the start of your script.

Then call Invoke-VMScriptPlus instead Invoke-VMScript.

0 Kudos
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

cmdlet Invoke-VMScriptPlus at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

ScriptType: powershell

Exception calling "CreateTemporaryDirectoryInGuest" with "5" argument(s): "Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials."

At C:\SCRIPTS\DEPLOY VM\Deploy-VM.ps1:388 char:92

+ ... oraryDirectoryInGuest($moref, $auth, "$($env:USERNAME)_$($PID)", $nul ...

+                                                              ~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VimException

Exception calling "CreateTemporaryFileInGuest" with "5" argument(s): "Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials." Exception calling "CreateTemporaryDirectoryInGuest" with

"5" argument(s): "Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials." 

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (version:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ ~~~~~~~

+ version

ck the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:1

version : The term 'version' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Che Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ScriptType'. The argument "Verbose" does not belong to

the set "bash;perl;python3;nodejs;php;lua;powershell;powershellv6;powershellv7;bat;exe" specified by the ValidateSet attribute. Supply an argument that is in the set and then try the command again.[0].Exception.Me

ssage

At C:\SCRIPTS\DEPLOY VM\Deploy-VM.ps1:409 char:1

+ Throw "$error[0].Exception.Message"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (Exception calli...ception.Message:String) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Exception calling "CreateTemporaryFileInGuest" with "5" argument(s): "Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials." Exception calling "Create

TemporaryDirectoryInGuest" with "5" argument(s): "Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials." 

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (version:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ ~~~~~~~

+ version

ck the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:1

version : The term 'version' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Che Cannot validate argument on parameter 'ScriptType'. The argument "Verbose" does not belo

ng to the set "bash;perl;python3;nodejs;php;lua;powershell;powershellv6;powershellv7;bat;exe" specified by the ValidateSet attribute. Supply an argument that is in the set and then try the command again.[0].Ex 

ception.Message

PS C:\SCRIPTS\DEPLOY VM>

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like you might have an issue with the copy/paste.

Can you attach (bottom right in the edit window) the script you are currently using?

0 Kudos
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go....

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't find the function and the class definition in the script, so I added those.

I also added -ScriptTye 'powershell' -Verbose on each invocation of Invoke-VMScriptPlus

0 Kudos
sejohlun
Contributor
Contributor

Invoke-VMScriptPlus : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'GuestCredential' because it is null.

At C:\SCRIPTS\DEPLOY VM\script.ps1:844 char:98

+ ... powershell' -VM $Hostname -GuestCredential $VMLocalCredential -Verbos ...

+                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Invoke-VMScriptPlus], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Invoke-VMScriptPlus

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That is not really my problem to solve.

Apparently the $VMLocalCredential variable is empty.

0 Kudos