VMware Cloud Community
antize1
Contributor
Contributor

InvalidCertificateAction not honored for Session scope

Environment/Setup: Using pwsh 7.1.3 on Windows Server 2019 and PowerCLI 12.3.0. I downloaded the zip of pwsh 7.1.3 and put PowerCLI in PowerShell-7.1.3-win-x64\Modules.

This is related to this - https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-PowerCLI-Discussions/Connect-VIServer-The-SSL-connection-co.... However I was already doing this -

Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -ParticipateInCEIP $false -InvalidCertificateAction Ignore -DisplayDeprecationWarnings $false -WebOperationTimeoutSeconds (60*15) -Scope Session -Confirm:$false

And got this error -

Connect-VIServer: 5/11/2021 12:42:05 PM Connect-VIServer The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.

It only worked when I changed the scope from Session to User (didn't try AllUser).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What does Get-PowerCLIConfiguration return?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
antize1
Contributor
Contributor

Appears to show the settings took, but connect throws that error for Session scope.

Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Core -EA STOP
Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -ParticipateInCEIP $false -InvalidCertificateAction Ignore -DisplayDeprecationWarnings $false -WebOperationTimeoutSeconds (60*15) -Scope Session -Confirm:$false | Out-Null

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 2.11.57 PM.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I just some further tests, and yes, the scope session for the InvalidCertificateAction doesn't seem to be taken into account.
That looks like a bug or incomplete documentation.

I suggest you open an SR

0 Kudos
antize1
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have an active service contract. I would def say it's a bug though. The session scope settings should be honored just like user/alluser scopes.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It used to work before, must be something that was introduced later.
Perhaps only in the PSv7.* version.
Do you have a PSv5.1 where you can try the same?

0 Kudos
antize1
Contributor
Contributor

Yep it works on PS 5.1 (with scope session).

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That's what I suspected.
It's apparently a flaw in the PSv7 version of PowerCLI.

0 Kudos