VMware Cloud Community
steddyeddie
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMTools remotly from task sequence.

Hi Guys,

Ive been rattlingmy brain about how im going to install VMware tools on an OS install, as tools needs to be done when the OS is installed.

Firstly i need to get my code right so its Automated. At this point vmware tools isnt installed so the cmdlet "update-tools" isnt going to work.

Ive been looking into it and i think i have to create the VM with a CD drive so that i can "Mount-Tools"

All this does is open up the  box on the VM to istll it, im wanting to do an automated install of this through PowerCli.

Has anyone done this succesfully before? Im sure they must be a way?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already try Glenn's script from his PowerCLI Update VMware Tools without a reboot. post ?

And have a look at the Unattended installation of VMware Tools in Windows document.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
steddyeddie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LucD good find.

Ive tried to change this to suit what im doing. But the actuall DOING part doesnt do anything? Im using:

Mount-Tools

-VM Server01

$DrvLetter

= Get-WmiObject Win32_CDROMDrive -ComputerName Server01 | Where-Object {$_.VolumeName -match "VMware Tools"} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Drive

$DrvLetter

$cmd = "$($DrvLetter)setup64.exe /S /v`"/qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL`

This mounts the CD on 😧 and when you hover over the varible $drvLetter it does pull back 😧 but it doesnt seem to actually do anything? Am i missing something here?

0 Kudos