VMware Cloud Community
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Install-VMHostPatch crashes on PowerShell.exe

Hi,

I'm having some trouble using the Install-VMHostPatch command. I've got a simple one-liner that installs some Intel drivers on an ESXi 4.1 Host, very rarely this goes correctly and most of the time PowerShell.exe crashes while using the Install-VMHostPatch command.

This is the error that is given:

Untitled.jpg

Other people with the same experiences?

Thanks,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure how you call the cmdlet, but are you perhaps using the LocalPath parameter and suffering fron an out-of-space situation on your ESXi server ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Luc,

Thanks, I'm using the -HostPath option which referes to the local ESXi Host.

There's no issue on diskspace since in some rare cases it works (same ESXi Host, same one-liner) but most of the time it doesn't.

I even tried the -async option to just fire off the command and let it run. When I do this I get back the status that the command is running and then when the prompt returns PowerShell.exe crashes again Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Kenneth,

although I am a big PowerCLI fan, the Install-VMHostPatch cmdlet has given me so much trouble that I gave it up and switched to the vSphere vCLI vihostupdate.pl to install patches. Using the PowerCLI advanced function Add-vCLIfunction from my blog post How to run VMware vSphere CLI perl scripts from PowerCLI you can run the vCLI vihostupdate.pl script from PowerCLI. E.g.:

vihostupdate --server ESX1 -i -b EMU-be2net-2.104.277.3-offline_bundle-416102.zip

One thing that I specially like from the vihostupdate.pl is that you can specify the zipfile to install, instead of having to unpack the zip file and specify the metadata.zip file as Install-VMHostPatch needs.

Regards, Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos