VMware Cloud Community
rspoto
Contributor
Contributor

Importing vApp w/ Password Parameter

Hi -

I'm importing vApps with a hash table with the parameters for the configuration.  The import works great, and all of the fields in the vApp are correctly populated except for parameters that are "password" type.  There's no errors, they just don't get populated along with everything else.  I'm thinking they can't be plain text in the configuration hash table (which they are), but can't find any information on how to correctly set/pass them.  Does it have to be some kind of credential object or something instead of plain text?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you use the Get-OvfConfiguration cmdlet to get the properties you need to provide ?

Have a look at PowerCLI 5.8 New Feature: Get-OvfConfiguration (Part 1 of 2), there the password seems to be given in clear text.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
rspoto
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I've read that link many times thinking I kept missing something.

Turns out the field requires a minimum of 6 characters for the password and I was using 3 to test with.  Once I put at least 6 in, the value worked.

One thing that was throwing me off, is that if I edit the VM and go to Options --> Properties, any password field is blanked out.  I'm guessing that's by design?  I'm going to manually deploy "the old fashioned way" to make sure the behavior is the same.

Long story short, it's working and this thread was pointless. Smiley Happy

Thanks for they reply LucD.

0 Kudos