VMware Cloud Community
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to get the current version of iLO firmware through VMware Power CLI

Hi All,

Task - Need to know the current version of iLO firmware (HP Blades) and IMM version of IBM physical servers.

I got the information through ESXi command prompt by "smbiosDump | grep -i integrated" for IBM blades.

For one server, it is easy to check by manual login. Whereas we need to check for multiple ESX hosts (also all the host has there own unique password)

Is there any way, from where we can get this information from VMware power CLI by any script.

We can create 2 files, one is for hostnames of the host and in another we can keep password.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Matt has a script that gets that information, see Get HP Firmware Info for HP VMware Hosts Using PowerShell

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Matt has a script that gets that information, see Get HP Firmware Info for HP VMware Hosts Using PowerShell

0 Kudos
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD, Thanks for reply, where should I find Matt? As I am new to this forum.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Click the hyperlink in my previous reply, and you should be redirected to Matt's blogpost

0 Kudos
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is not showing the iLO firmware version. iLO firmware version is "1.30" and in the script output's it is showing "Hewlett-Packard BMC Firmware (node 0) 46:10000.."

Please help

Have replied on Matt's blog too 😞

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does the function in Gather HP iLO information using PowerShell give the correct info ?

Can't test, don't have HP HW.

0 Kudos
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's amazing; I just changed "VMware Power Shell" properties and found that information was there It's really helped me a lot.

Is there any way, where we can get similar kind of information for IBM servers. In IBM there is no "iLO", it is called as "Integrated Management Module". By ESXi command line, we can find that information through "SMbiosDump | grep -i Integrated"

smbiosDump | grep Integrated

$SI Integrated Management Module 1.41 -[YUOOF7C-1.41]-

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at PowerShell module for IBM servers’ management.

Note it requires SSH access.

0 Kudos
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

Thank you for responding quickly 🙂

The link, which you had shared is for up graduation of firmware. As of now, I just looking out to pull some information of IMM firmware version of IBM servers.

The way it worked for HP iLO (Integrated Light Out), I am guessing it may work for IMM (Integrated Management Module) for IBM Servers.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Scroll down to the IMMSSH part.

0 Kudos
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

I have downloaded archive contains of four files and tried importing that module, which is giving the following error while importing IMM-Module in power shell. Please help.

Line 119 [ValidatePattern("^asu\d*\.exe$")]

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

PowerCLI C:\IMM-Module-master\IMM-Module-master\IMM-Module> Import-Module .\IMM-Module.psm1 -Force -Verbose

VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\IMM-Module-master\IMM-Module-master\IMM-Module\IMM-Module.psm1'.

Parameter attributes need to be a constant or a script block.

At C:\IMM-Module-master\IMM-Module-master\IMM-Module\IMM-Module.psm1:119 char:35

+         [ValidatePattern("^asu\d*\.exe$" <<<< )]

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterAttributeArgumentNeedsToBeConstantOrScriptBlock

Import-Module : The specified module '.\IMM-Module.psm1' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.

At line:1 char:14

+ Import-Module <<<<  .\IMM-Module.psm1 -Force -Verbose

+ CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (.\IMM-Module.psm1:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

0 Kudos