VMware Cloud Community
BReed01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to find and delete OSCustomizationSpec if exist?

I've created a script to help deploy a large amount of VMs using a CSV file.

It's setup to basically look for an existing OSCustomizationSpec (listed in the csv) and then clone it and use that for deploying the new VMs with specific IP, DNS, etc.  After each deployment of a VM, the temp cloned OSCustomization is deleted and then subsequently recreated for each deployed VM.

The issue is, if the script fails for whatever reason or is interrupted, the temp OSCustomization is there and causes an issue resulting in the script failure the next time it's ran.

So I'm trying to do a search for the Temp one, and if exists, delete it, and then proceed with the script.

$OSCusSpec = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name 'TempCust'

If ($OSCusSpec -eq $True)

{

Remove-OSCustomizationSpec "TempCust" -Confirm:$false | Out-Null

Write-Host "     Cleanup of old OSCustomizationSpec Complete.     " -ForegroundColor Green

}

Else

{

Write-Host "     No existing Temp OSCustomizationSpec Cleanup Necessary.     " -ForegroundColor Yellow

}

I've tried all different ways of trying to accomplish this, but I can't seem to get anything to work.  the -eq $True doesn't seem to return any value, because even if that TempCust is there, the script still returns the Else statement.  I've tried using different variations of that and $null, and just can't figure out how the best way to get this working.

Thanks for any assistance or guidance.  I really appreciate it because I've been banging my head

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Otherwise, a try-catch construct could help.

Something like this

try{

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name 'TempCust' -ErrorAction Stop |

Remove-OSCustomizationSpec -Confirm:$false

Write-Host "     Cleanup of old OSCustomizationSpec Complete.     " -ForegroundColor Green

}

catch{

Write-Host "     No existing Temp OSCustomizationSpec Cleanup Necessary.     " -ForegroundColor Yellow

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As an alternative solution, why don't you clone the OSCustomizationSpec to a NonPersistent one.

These are not stored on the server, but are kept in memory of your current PowerCLI session.

Something like this

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name 'WhatEver' |

New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name 'NewCust' -Type NonPersistent

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Otherwise, a try-catch construct could help.

Something like this

try{

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name 'TempCust' -ErrorAction Stop |

Remove-OSCustomizationSpec -Confirm:$false

}

catch{

}

0 Kudos
BReed01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.  I do create a non-persistent one with the following code:

$OSCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $vm.OSCustomizationSpec    (this is found in the csv)

Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $OSCust | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name "TempCust" -Type NonPersistent

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Then the try-catch construct should work

0 Kudos
BReed01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This actually worked perfect.  I have a Try/Catch setup for the main contents of the script, and I was trying to avoid doing a nested Try/Catch (because I'm new to this level of scripting and read how that can cause headaches if you don't know what you're doing or trying to troubleshoot issues).  But, it's easy enough to just add this above the bulk of the script and it did work well.

Thanks, LucD. 

0 Kudos