VMware Cloud Community
Alex_Basista
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to extract VLAN ID from VDPortgroup on Cisco 1000v

Hello!  I'm in the process of creating a script that gets all VDPortgroups and copies them to a Standard Switch for migration purposes.  Our DVS is currently a Cisco 1000v.  I would like to be able to extract the VLAN ID from each VDPortgroup so I can in turn set that VLAN ID on the Standard Switch after its creation.  I have not been able to find a VLAN ID property anywhere in the VDPortgroup object (I've drilled down into ExtensionData, etc. with no luck).

As a workaround, I've been relying on the VLAN being in the Name of the VDPortgroup and using regex to extract that number value out of the name, store it in a variable, and set the VLAN ID on the port group on the Standard Switch accordingly. However, I would love to not have to rely on the cosmetic naming being 100 % accurate and consistent with the actual VLAN ID of all of the VDPortgroups we have out there, which is quite a few.

Is there a VLAN ID property hidden somewhere that I'm not finding within the VDPortgroup object?  Or is there a better way to do this?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Get-VDPortgroup_gm.JPG

Best,

Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aaron416
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I went through a migration last year and I found that the 1000v does not advertise that information to vCenter, unfortunately. Your best bet is to parse it from the name, if available.

I know you're not on a VMware DVS, but if you set one up, you could see that the port group has a VLAN config (somewhere under portgroup.config.vlan.vlanid or similar). Cisco leaves this out on their distributed switch, for some unknown reason.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at Re: Backup of dvSwitch, it handles VLANid from VSS and VDS.

Haven't tried with a Nexus though.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Alex_Basista
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  Unfortunately there does not look to be a VLAN property within 'DefaultPortConfig':

n1k_pg.JPG

Must be a limitation with the 1000v.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Bummer Smiley Sad

If you have the time, you could use the Show-Object function, from Lee Holmes's PowerShell Cookbook, to further explore the 1000v object.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

aaron416
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I went through a migration last year and I found that the 1000v does not advertise that information to vCenter, unfortunately. Your best bet is to parse it from the name, if available.

I know you're not on a VMware DVS, but if you set one up, you could see that the port group has a VLAN config (somewhere under portgroup.config.vlan.vlanid or similar). Cisco leaves this out on their distributed switch, for some unknown reason.

0 Kudos
Alex_Basista
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's really good to know, appreciate the info.  I should be able to parse it from the name in most cases but I know there are at least a few one-offs where the name does not contain the VLAN ID.  Sounds like the best course of action will be to identify those one-offs out front before the migration and then build in some conditional logic to address them on the 'Set-VirtualPortGroup'  segment.

0 Kudos