VMware Cloud Community
an648
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to enable Ping (ICMP echo) on a guest VM

"Access denied" error while enabling ICMP

Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)" -enabled True -RemoteAddress "192.168.0.5" -Protocol ICMPv4 -IcmpType 8 -Direction Inbound -Action Allow

ICMP.PNG

Any assistance that I can get would be much appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Set-NetFirewallRule cmdlet requires the user running it to be a local administrator.

You can allow other accounts to create/change FW rules, but that requires setting policy and permissions in the Windows OS.

You will see the same error when you run this via the netsh command.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That is a PowerShell cmdlet, you're trying to change the behaviour of Windows regardless of it running in a VM - so technically not anything to do with PowerCLI or any VMware product.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Set-NetFirewallRule cmdlet requires the user running it to be a local administrator.

You can allow other accounts to create/change FW rules, but that requires setting policy and permissions in the Windows OS.

You will see the same error when you run this via the netsh command.

an648
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was successfully able to enable ICMP echo using below cmdlet with administrator role

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule name="File and Printer Sharing(Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)"

protocol=icmpv4:8,any dir=In new enable=yes

But can we achieve this using PowerCLI cmdlet ,enabling multiple vms(Ex: IPs) simultaneously via script?

0 Kudos
an648
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I meant enabling ICMP echo in multiple vms using their IP's in a script?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is the account which you pass via Invoke-VMScript on the GuestCredential parameter a local administrator in the Guest OS?

0 Kudos
an648
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried both ways but either I get access denied error or username/pwd is incorrect.

New-PSSession -ComputerName "VM-001" -Credential (Get-Credential) -SessionOption (New-PSSessionOption -SkipCACheck -SkipCNCheck)

Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName  "ICMP Allow incoming V4 echo request"

Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)" -enabled True -RemoteAddress "192.168.0.5" -Protocol ICMPv4 -IcmpType 8 -Direction Inbound -Action Allow

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you try to run the netsh command inside the Guest OS via the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet?

0 Kudos