VMware Cloud Community
jedimt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to add multiple iSCSI targets with static discovery

Trying to add multiple static discovery entries for a set of cluster hosts. I can add the first entry by running the following PowerCLI

get-vmhost “vdi1.vdi.sf.local" | Get-VMHostHba -Type iScsi | New-IScsiHbaTarget -Address "172.27.32.30" -IScsiName iqn.2010-01.com.solidfire:bbup.desktop01.2514 -ChapName VDI-Desktops -ChapPassword j0iT18i17Vp4su>r -ChapType Required -type static

However, whenever I try to add subsequent static discovery entries (I have 22 to add to the same discovery IP) I receive the following error:

New-IScsiHbaTarget : 10/27/2014 9:17:28 AM    New-IScsiHbaTarget        The specified target

'172.27.32.30:3260' already exists.

At line:1 char:62

+ get-vmhost "vdi1.vdi.sf.local" | Get-VMHostHba -Type iScsi | New-IScsiHbaTarget  ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-IScsiHbaTarget], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_StorageServiceImpl_TryValidateUniqueIScisTargetAddress_NonU

niqueAddress,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.Storage.NewIScsiHbaTarget

I can add multiple static targets to a single iSCSI server IP just fine with esxcli, but would prefer to have this done directly in PowerCLI without using $esxcli if possible.

esxcli iscsi adapter discovery statictarget add -A vmhba38 -a 172.27.32.30:3260 -n iqn.2010-01.com.solidfire:bbup.desktop01.2514

esxcli iscsi adapter target portal auth chap set -A vmhba38 -a 172.27.32.30 -d uni -N VDI-Desktops -l required -n iqn.2010-01.com.solidfire:bbup.desktop01.2514 -S j0iT18i17Vp4su>r

esxcli iscsi adapter discovery statictarget add -A vmhba38 -a 172.27.32.30:3260 -n iqn.2010-01.com.solidfire:bbup.desktop02.2515

esxcli iscsi adapter target portal auth chap set -A vmhba38 -a 172.27.32.30 -d uni -N VDI-Desktops -l required -n iqn.2010-01.com.solidfire:bbup.desktop02.2515 -S j0iT18i17Vp4su>r

I must be missing something simple. Any help is much appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik it's not possible with current PowerCLI build to define multiple iScsiNames on the same target.

You'll have to use the $esxcli I'm afraid.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik it's not possible with current PowerCLI build to define multiple iScsiNames on the same target.

You'll have to use the $esxcli I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
jedimt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is what I ended up cobbling together to get this done with $esxcli. It's ugly, but gets the job done 🙂

#Add static iSCSI targets to hosts

Connect-VIServer -Server view-vcenter.vdi.sf.local -User vdi\administrator -Password P@ssw0rd

$hosts = get-vmhost

#Define the IQNs to add

#Set $iqnprefix to cut down on length of commands

$iqnprefix = "iqn.2010-01.com.solidfire:bbup."

$volumeNames = @("desktop01","desktop02","desktop03","desktop04","desktop05","desktop06","desktop07","desktop08","desktop09","desktop10","desktop11","desktop12","desktop13","desktop14","desktop15","desktop16","desktop17","desktop18","desktop19","desktop20")

$volumeIDs = @(2514..2530 + 2535..2537)

#Storage virtual IP for the SolidFire system

$svip = "172.27.32.30"

$chapsecret = "j0iT18i17Vp4su>r"

$account = "VDI-Desktops"

foreach ($esx in $hosts) {

write-host "Getting iSCSI adapter for host $esx"

$hba = get-vmhost $esx | Get-VMHostHba -Type iScsi | Where {$_.Model -eq "iSCSI Software Adapter"}

write-host "Setting up esxcli"

$esxcli = get-esxcli -vmhost $esx

write-host "Configuring targets on host $esx"

for ($i = 0; $i -le 19; $i++) {

$target = $iqnprefix + $volumeNames[$i] + "." + $volumeIDs[$i]

write-host "Adding static target $target"

$esxcli.iscsi.adapter.discovery.statictarget.add($hba, $svip, $target)

$esxcli.iscsi.adapter.target.portal.auth.chap.set($hba, $svip, $account, $null, "uni", $false, "required", $target, $chapsecret)

}

}

#Disconnect-VIServer -Server * -Force -Confirm:$false

Write-Host "Done adding static targets" -ForegroundColor Green

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing that

0 Kudos