Automation

View Only
  • 1.  How to Filter out specific Operating Systems

Posted Feb 10, 2016 12:39 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to filter out specific Operating systems. This is what I have so far but it's not working:

New-VIProperty -Name ToolsStatus -ObjectType VirtualMachine -ValueFromExtensionProperty 'Guest.ToolsStatus' -Force
    New-VIProperty -Name GuestOS -ObjectType VirtualMachine -ValueFromExtensionProperty 'Config.GuestFullName' -Force

Get-VM | Where-Object {$_.Config.GuestFullName -Notlike "Microsoft Windows Server*" -or $_.Name.Config.GuestFullName -Notlike "Linux*"} |
    Select Name,PowerState,ToolsStatus, GuestOS

• 2.  RE: How to Filter out specific Operating Systems
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 10, 2016 12:58 PM

I suspect that should be and -and instead of an -or.

I also changed the NotLike to NotMatch, avoids the asterisk, and the text can appear anywhere in the string

Try like this

New-VIProperty -Name ToolsStatus -ObjectType VirtualMachine -ValueFromExtensionProperty 'Guest.ToolsStatus' -Force

New-VIProperty -Name GuestOS -ObjectType VirtualMachine -ValueFromExtensionProperty 'Config.GuestFullName' -Force

Get-VM | Where-Object {$_.GuestOS -NotMatch "Microsoft Windows Server" -and $_.GuestOS -NotMatch "Linux"} |

• 3.  RE: How to Filter out specific Operating Systems

Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:17 PM

What Luc said. Just adding to that, you can shorten it to a single (not)match statement by grouping the regex with alternations like this:

Get-VM | Where-Object {$_.GuestOS -NotMatch "(Microsoft Windows Server|Linux)"} |

• 4.  RE: How to Filter out specific Operating Systems

Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:33 PM

Thanks for the additional input.