VMware Cloud Community
scriffles
Contributor
Contributor

How do I install the latest version of PowerCLI?

I used PowerCLI a few years ago, but back then I just downloaded an installer from the VMware site, ran it, job done.

Now there is no download because, apparently, it's much easier to use the "Install-Module" command directly from PowerShell.

That may be easier if it works,but I presume there must be some additional things I need to do first in order to get the "Install-Module" command to work. This doesn't seem to be explained anywhere.

I thought installing the product would be the easy bit 😞

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Used the below link a few days ago and it worked as expected Smiley Happy

How to install and configure VMware PowerCLI version 10 | The Solving

Once installed, run the below commands to leave the 'Customer Experience Improvement Program' and ignore the invalid certificate error, respectively -

To leave the CEIP - Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -ParticipateInCeip $false

Invalid Certificate - Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -InvalidCertificateAction Ignore -Confirm:$false

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

vinzyc
Contributor
Contributor

The best part is on the "PowerShell Gallery" under "how to download", it gives you some pretentious nonsense about how much faster it is to NOT download it!  This is beyond obnoxious.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That may be easier if it works,but I presume there must be some additional things I need to do first in order to get the "Install-Module" command to work. This doesn't seem to be explained anywhere.

Prior to installing the new version using the "Install-Module" command, uninstall the old MSI version (Add/Remove Software) to avoid side effects.

André

0 Kudos
scriffles
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Supreet.

Finally managed to get PowerCLI installed on my Windows 8.1 machine, but what a palaver!

0 Kudos