VMware Cloud Community
isuwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I get started with the PowerShell technology preview?

Hello,

I recently got permission to join the PowerShell technology preview. I know it's a little late in the game. I was given access to this forum but I could not find the FAQ, or instructions, on how to download and install the toolkit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hopefully VMware won't mind if I paste the email instructions that most (but apparently not you) received. I know this forum is invite-only, so it should be ok. If not--they can remove the post. Smiley Happy Once it goes into open beta I'm sure this will all be on a public webpage.

-- vmware email --

Hello and thank you for agreeing to participate in the technology preview for the "VMware Infrastructure Toolkit (for Windows)". We are very excited to leverage the simplicity, efficiency and productivity of Microsoft Windows PowerShell to make managing the VMware Infrastructure much easier for system administrators. We have bundled approximately 50 cmdlets in this package covering a range of common functions needed to manage a VMware Infrastructure with associated documentation. Our goal is to continue to add more cmdlets to this set in the months to come.

Prerequisites:

This technology preview assumes that you have already installed Microsoft Windows PowerShell (if you have not the installer will let you know and will not proceed) and that you are familiar with the administration and use of that product. If you do not have it already installed, you can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/download.mspx

Download and Installation:

• To download the toolkit, please click on this URL: ftp://devtools:d3vt00l$@ftpsite.vmware.com/

• Download the file VMware-Vim4PS-e.x.p-60853.exe and open it to install the toolkit.

Since this is the first time we are releasing this product we are distributing it to a small set of selected customers.

We are looking for feedback on the product including the following areas:

• Usability and documentation of the cmdlets that we have included

• Completeness of each of the cmdlets (i.e., being able to accomplish the management task that the cmdlet provides)

• Critical management functions that we may have overlooked in our initial set of cmdlets

• Your experience with installing the product and the documentation provided.

We look forward to hearing from you, so don't hold back. Please tell us about any of the areas highlighted above or anything else that you believe will help VMware make this a better product.

Please send your comments and questions to us at VI_TK_4win-Admin@vmware.com. We will try to respond to as many of your messages as we can, as soon as we can.

Confidentiality:

In order to install the "VMware Infrastructure Toolkit (for Windows)", you must do a click-through accept of the standard VMware Technology Preview License Agreement. We have included that agreement as an attachment to this e-mail for your convenience. If you are not able to participate in this process due to the terms of the agreement please let us know.

<>

Since this is a private technology preview, you must treat this toolkit as "Confidential" (as described in section 4 of the enclosed agreement).

Download away and we are sure you will have fun with our toolkit.

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hopefully VMware won't mind if I paste the email instructions that most (but apparently not you) received. I know this forum is invite-only, so it should be ok. If not--they can remove the post. Smiley Happy Once it goes into open beta I'm sure this will all be on a public webpage.

-- vmware email --

Hello and thank you for agreeing to participate in the technology preview for the "VMware Infrastructure Toolkit (for Windows)". We are very excited to leverage the simplicity, efficiency and productivity of Microsoft Windows PowerShell to make managing the VMware Infrastructure much easier for system administrators. We have bundled approximately 50 cmdlets in this package covering a range of common functions needed to manage a VMware Infrastructure with associated documentation. Our goal is to continue to add more cmdlets to this set in the months to come.

Prerequisites:

This technology preview assumes that you have already installed Microsoft Windows PowerShell (if you have not the installer will let you know and will not proceed) and that you are familiar with the administration and use of that product. If you do not have it already installed, you can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/download.mspx

Download and Installation:

• To download the toolkit, please click on this URL: ftp://devtools:d3vt00l$@ftpsite.vmware.com/

• Download the file VMware-Vim4PS-e.x.p-60853.exe and open it to install the toolkit.

Since this is the first time we are releasing this product we are distributing it to a small set of selected customers.

We are looking for feedback on the product including the following areas:

• Usability and documentation of the cmdlets that we have included

• Completeness of each of the cmdlets (i.e., being able to accomplish the management task that the cmdlet provides)

• Critical management functions that we may have overlooked in our initial set of cmdlets

• Your experience with installing the product and the documentation provided.

We look forward to hearing from you, so don't hold back. Please tell us about any of the areas highlighted above or anything else that you believe will help VMware make this a better product.

Please send your comments and questions to us at VI_TK_4win-Admin@vmware.com. We will try to respond to as many of your messages as we can, as soon as we can.

Confidentiality:

In order to install the "VMware Infrastructure Toolkit (for Windows)", you must do a click-through accept of the standard VMware Technology Preview License Agreement. We have included that agreement as an attachment to this e-mail for your convenience. If you are not able to participate in this process due to the terms of the agreement please let us know.

<>

Since this is a private technology preview, you must treat this toolkit as "Confidential" (as described in section 4 of the enclosed agreement).

Download away and we are sure you will have fun with our toolkit.

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos