VMware Cloud Community
red888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I get just 5 min interval counters from an ESXi host?

I'm connected to an esxi host with the powershell snapin (not a vcenter server).

ESXi servers are supposed to aggregate realtim data (20 sec intervals) into 5 min intervals right?

How do I get just 5 min intervals with get-stat?

I tried the following command, but it is returning only 20 sec intervals:

get-Stat -Stat disk.write.average -Entity 'centos01' -IntervalSecs 300

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct, an ESXi node aggregates those 20 second intervals into 5 minute intervals.

But, and I quote "You cannot retrieve 5-minute rollup data from an ESXi Server directly. You can use a vCenter Server connection to obtain 5-minute rollup data for an ESXi Server."

From Performance Intervals

But you can easily roll up the 20 second intervals via a script.

Some examples in my PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 2 – Come together post.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct, an ESXi node aggregates those 20 second intervals into 5 minute intervals.

But, and I quote "You cannot retrieve 5-minute rollup data from an ESXi Server directly. You can use a vCenter Server connection to obtain 5-minute rollup data for an ESXi Server."

From Performance Intervals

But you can easily roll up the 20 second intervals via a script.

Some examples in my PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 2 – Come together post.

red888
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah I missed that bit. Yeah I was just using measure-object which does well enough.

So if I was connecting to a vCenter server the IntervalSecs param would return 5 min intervals like I want? I'm using it correctly here right?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is correct, provided you ask for metrics from Historical Interval 1.

See my PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 1 – The basics post where I tried to explain these concepts.

0 Kudos