VMware Cloud Community
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help required with the vSphere Web Services SDK

Hello Everyone

I know this 'might' have been already asked, but I need to help as I’m having major problems understanding this. So, if someone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am 'competent' (to a certain extent) Smiley Wink in PowerCLI and feel comfortable creating functions, scripts and even use the Get-View Cmdlet in a load of my scripts to improve performance. Where my knowledge seems to be lacking, is understanding how to use the vSphere Web Services SDK to step up to the 'next' level in my PowerCLI scripting. I have read some of the literature pertaining to the SDK but where I am having problems is actually, implementing it practically. So for example how I go from trying to find a 'property' say, to getting to the correct object to give me the relevant information I require. Kinda hard to explain but it might make a bit more sense if I were to use an example:

So here goes ...... Say for example I am looking for the 'TOTALSLOTS' in a cluster. I do a search in the API (All properties) and it gives me the following property situated in the ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfoSlotInfo data object.

pastedImage_3.png

Now if you read the ‘totalslots’ property it says ‘See SlotInfo’. You go to the ‘SlotInfo’ property which is of type ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfoSlotInfo . So my understanding would be that if I could get a ‘SlotInfo’ data object I could get to the total slots property.  ?!?!?!?

So when I look at that object it comes back with the following:

pastedImage_4.png

Now what this tells me is that it’s a property of the previous object (which I know) but what I do not know is where to go from here. ?!??

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be extremely helpful. I just need some assistance for that ‘Eureka’ moment and hopefully I’ll be fine after that :smileycool:

As always many thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Munster

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
36 Replies
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its also vSphere 5.5 - Build 1312298

I did some searching in the forum and a 'Freakin11' had a similar issue (HA configuration (ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo) w/ VMWare.vim?))

when coding in C#. He mentioned the following:

And I've answered my own question seconds later.  I strongly typed the return and it included the information I needed.  I still don't know why there is the discrepancy between return types...

Do I have to return my objects as 'strongly typed' maybe ???

I was wondering is there something I'm missing or havent configured because all I wanted to learn about was the API and i seem to have gone off track :smileycry:

Just to clarify - I opened a new pCLI window and tried the following:

HA ENABLED

C:\> $clusview = get-view -ViewType clustercomputeresource -Filter @{'name'='cluster1'}

C:\> $clusview.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo() | ft -au

DasHostInfo VmcpSupported HeartbeatDatastoreInfo

----------- ------------- ----------------------

{VMware.Vim.DasHeartbeatDatastoreInfo, VMware.Vim.DasHeartbeatDatastoreInfo}

HA DISABLED

C:\> $clusviewHAdis = get-view -ViewType clustercomputeresource -Filter @{'name'='cluster1'}

C:\> $clusview.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo() | ft -au

Still seeing the same object ?!??

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Interesting, try with a typecast

$clusterName = 'MyCluster'

$cluster = Get-Cluster -Name $clusterName

$info = [VMware.Vim.ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo]($cluster.ExtensionData.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo())

$info

Update: The 3rd & 4th lines are one line

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So following what you have said I get the error:

Cannot convert the "VMware.Vim.ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo" value of type "VMware.Vim.ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo" to type "VMware.Vim.ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo".

At line:1 char:1

+ $info = [VMware.Vim.ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo]($cluster.Extensi ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConvertToFinalInvalidCastException

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

So even typecasting is not working.

Do you have a station where you never used PowerCLI ?

I would suggest you do a new install on such a station, and then try from there.

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

'Might' be getting closer ......

I had an old workstation I hadn't used in a while hence installed a new copy of PCLI v6 & PS v4. Did the same as you mentioned and got the following:

C:\> $clusterName = 'cluster1'

C:\> $cluster = Get-cluster -Name $clusterName

C:\> $info = [VMware.Vim.ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo]($cluster.ExtensionData.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo())

Cannot convert the "VMware.Vim.ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo" value of type "VMware.Vim.ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo" to type

"VMware.Vim.ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo".

At line:1 char:1

+ $info = [VMware.Vim.ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo]($cluster.Extensi ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConvertToFinalInvalidCastException

C:\> $cluster.ExtensionData.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo() | gm

TypeName: VMware.Vim.ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo

Name                   MemberType Definition

----                   ---------- ----------

Equals                 Method     bool Equals(System.Object obj)

GetHashCode            Method     int GetHashCode()

GetType                Method     type GetType()

ToString               Method     string ToString()

DasHostInfo            Property   VMware.Vim.ClusterDasHostInfo DasHostInfo {get;set;}

DynamicProperty        Property   VMware.Vim.DynamicProperty[] DynamicProperty {get;set;}

DynamicType            Property   string DynamicType {get;set;}

HeartbeatDatastoreInfo Property   VMware.Vim.DasHeartbeatDatastoreInfo[] HeartbeatDatastoreInfo {get;set;}

Sorry - there is NO VmcpSupported property like before ?????

Should I completely uninstall and reinstall - because this installation was done within the last 2 weeks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

As far as I can tell DasHostInfo was already there on the other station.

Could you show me what you have configured for HA in the cluster ?

This page

ha-settings.png

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here you go :

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

If I use such a HA config, the object is still returned with the slot information.

I'm afraid that at the moment I have no more ideas what could be causing this.

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ouch ( the mighty LucD is at a quandry !) :smileyconfused:

Could you confirm one last thing that my build is OK

PowerCLI C:\> $psversiontable

Name                           Value

----                           -----

PSVersion                      4.0

WSManStackVersion              3.0

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.18063

BuildVersion                   6.3.9600.16406

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.2

PowerCLI C:\> Get-PowerCLIVersion

PowerCLI Version

----------------

VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 Release 1 build 2057893

---------------

Snapin Versions

---------------

VMWare AutoDeploy PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1983942

VMWare ImageBuilder PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1983942

VMware License PowerCLI Component 5.5 build 1265954

VMware Storage PowerCLI Component 5.8 build 2057894

VMware VDS PowerCLI Component 5.8 build 2031581

VMware vSphere PowerCLI Component 5.8 build 2031581

I had a load of 'stuff' in my 'profile' and even after loading my PCLI console without anything in my profile I am still getting the same ??!?! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That all looks ok.

But if you have the time and the possibility, I would still try a fresh PowerCLI install (on a station that didn't have PowerCLI before).

I'm curious to know if the problem will be there as well then.

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK Luc

I took a completely new WINDOWS 2012 R2 std install with nothing on it and simply installed PCLI v6 from scratch. (nothing else).

The exact same occurred ?!?!?!?

PowerCLI C:\> $clusview = Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeResource -Filter @{'Name'='cluster1'}

PowerCLI C:\> $clusview.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo().gettype().name

ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo

PowerCLI C:\> $clusview.RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo()| ft -au

{VMware.Vim.DasHeartbeatDatastoreInfo, VMware.Vim.DasHeartbeatDatastoreInfo}

The cluster definitely has HA enabled but I am still seeing the problem with returning the required objects ?!?!?? Could it be my vcenters ?????

One thing i am finding is that irrespective of HA being enabled or not i am getting the same ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo object ?!?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Very strange.

I have to admit I don't have an explanation for what you are seeing I'm afraid.

Perhaps someone from the PowerCLI Dev Team could help ?

Or else open a SR with VMware, PowerCLI is supported.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

A wild shot, do you get the same when you start PowerCLI in 32-bit mode ?

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I do - same result. Smiley Sad

I am slightly confused as to the reasoning behind the 'Extended By' title in the API in relation to what we are doing here. let me explain.....

I understand that when I retrieve the method RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo against my clusters it reports back a return value of ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo data object type. This in turn has an Extended by value of ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo - This is the data object I require to get the TOTALSLOTS value I need.

So my question was what does the Extended by mean when trying to work out the relationships of the data objects ????

Looks like I might 'log a call' with VMWare and see if they can help ???? :smileycry:

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The Extended By object has a condition listed ( if you have the cluster configured with a "failover level admission control policy.").

If that condition is not met, you will get the ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo object returned by the RetrieveDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo method.

0 Kudos
Munster99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been investigating the issue further and with some help from a VERY old link (andreaspa - https://communities.vmware.com/thread/390211) I tried the following in my environment and this is what i got:

When I change my 'Admission Control Policy' entries I get the following objects:

HOST FAILURES = ClusterDasFailoverLevelAdvancedRuntimeInfo

PERCENTAGE OF CLUSTER RESOURCES = ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo

FAILOVER HOSTS = ClusterDasAdvancedRuntimeInfo

So its seems that when the policy is changed to 'Host failures' I get the information I require ??!?!

'Andreaspa' didnt also get a resolution to this question. Now I'm wondering, is this indeed a bug ????

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Isn't that exactly what the remark "failover level admission control policy." means ?

0 Kudos