VMware Cloud Community
AlexsYB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help newbie write a powerCLI script

Hi

I want to set the config on all VM's that have a specific tag.

Basically want to work through all the vm's on each host on each cluster at each site. check if the vm has a specific tag say "DOME" and then I want to set the latency sensitivity setting to high. I also want to set the resource schedule to high for CPU and say set the min value to 200 and also lock the vm entire memory.

I have installed powerCLI v6, but have VC 5.5u2. just starting the upgrade process to V6

Thanks

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It sets the CPU shares to high locks the memory, and sets the latency to high.  This assumes the tag category is 'DOME' and whichever tag that has that category will be associated with that VM

$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.VirtualMachineConfigSpec

$spec.MemoryReservationLockedToMax = $true

$spec.LatencySensitivity = New-Object VMware.Vim.LatencySensitivity

$spec.LatencySensitivity.Level = [VMware.Vim.LatencySensitivitySensitivityLevel]::high

Get-VM | where { ($_ | Get-TagAssignment -Category 'Dome') } | foreach {

$vm = $_

$vm | Get-VMResourceConfiguration | Set-VMResourceConfiguration -CpuSharesLevel High

(Get-VM $vm).extensiondata.ReconfigVM_Task($spec)

}

What is the 200 reservation?  Do you mean the "MHz" reservation?

I wish I could take full credit.  I saw past posts from LucD for setting some of these, I just combined them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It sets the CPU shares to high locks the memory, and sets the latency to high.  This assumes the tag category is 'DOME' and whichever tag that has that category will be associated with that VM

$spec.MemoryReservationLockedToMax = $true

$spec.LatencySensitivity.Level = [VMware.Vim.LatencySensitivitySensitivityLevel]::high

Get-VM | where { ($_ | Get-TagAssignment -Category 'Dome') } | foreach {

$vm = $_

$vm | Get-VMResourceConfiguration | Set-VMResourceConfiguration -CpuSharesLevel High

(Get-VM $vm).extensiondata.ReconfigVM_Task($spec)

}

What is the 200 reservation?  Do you mean the "MHz" reservation?

I wish I could take full credit.  I saw past posts from LucD for setting some of these, I just combined them.

scriptermad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there a way to list the particular levels of latency sensitivity level? How did you know that high was an option here for example

0 Kudos
DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

LucD posted this for a similar question:  Re: Powercli for Latency Sensitivity?

If you create these objects

You can see the setting for the levels here:

$spec.LatencySensitivity.Level = [VMware.Vim.LatencySensitivitySensitivityLevel]::high # right after the two colons, while you're typing, you should get an intellisense prompt for your options.  You probably need to make sure you're using an ISE, and not just the PS prompt.  I'm using PowerGUI.

AlexsYB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

One question, don't you have to read the extension data first and then set it to $spec. or do uninitialised values not flow through ?

0 Kudos