VMware Cloud Community
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Help Migrating VMs

A little history.  I'm trying to migrate some VMs from a cluster running vSphere 5.1 to a new vSphere 6.0 vSAN Cluster.  Via the web client, if I do a migrate both Compute & Storage option, and choose STORAGE FIRST, I can go through the wizard, choose the destination vSAN Datastore, then the host in that cluster, then the destination Network Portgroup, and I get a warning...

"Network interface" 'Network adapter 1' cannot use network 'VMNetwork_VLAN2 (vDSwitch)', because "the destination distributed switch has a different version or vendor than the source distributed switch".

Even though I get that warning, it lets me proceed. 

I'm trying to automate this migration and wrote the following PowerCLI Script, however PowerCLI is failing where the Web Client doesn't.

move-vm : 9/12/2017 3:07:37 PM  Move-VM         The operation for the entity

"VM1" failed with the following message: "A general system error

occurred: vmodl.fault.SystemError"

At E:\ps1\vmware\Migrate.ps1:146 char:2

+     move-vm -VM (get-vm $VM) -Datastore (get-datastore "vsanDatastore

+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Move-VM], SystemError

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_TaskServiceImpl_CheckServerSideTaskUpda

tes_OperationFailed,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.MoveVM

The script:

$migrate = import-csv -path e:\ben\vmware\migrate.csv

foreach ($row in $migrate) {

# Read from CSV's Name Column

$VM = $row.Name

$Network = $row.Network

# Shutdown the VM

shutdown-vmguest $VM -confirm:$false

# Wait 15 seconds for the VM to shutdown.

start-sleep 15

# Perform the vMotion

move-vm -VM (get-vm $VM) -Datastore (get-datastore "LNvsanDatastore") -destination vmhost1.domain.com -confirm:$false

# Change the Network Adapter Portgroup

Get-VM $VM | set-networkadapter -Network Adapter "Network Adapter 1" -Networkname (Get-virtualportgroup -Name $Network) -StartConnected:$true -Confirm:$false

# Power on the VM

Start-vm (get-vm $VM) -confirm:$false

}

Please help! 

Thanks in advance!

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not a real solution, but the only way I got this working in the past, was by creating a "dummy" portgroup on the source and destination hosts.

And then change the VM (on the source host) to connect to the dummy portgroup.

Then do the Move-VM, and finally move the VM (on the destination) to the correct portgroup.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not a real solution, but the only way I got this working in the past, was by creating a "dummy" portgroup on the source and destination hosts.

And then change the VM (on the source host) to connect to the dummy portgroup.

Then do the Move-VM, and finally move the VM (on the destination) to the correct portgroup.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The web client asks you for the source portgroup, the thick client and PowerCLI don't have those options.  Oh well, guess I'll be doing these by hand then.  Thankfully, it's only 10 VMs. Smiley Happy

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos