VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Getting off the ground

So I'm completely new to powershell and the toolkit (as of this morning). I downloaded powershell from microsoft and the toolkit but I don't think I have it configured quite right. When I start up the toolkit i get an error message (below). I'm sure this is something stupid and easy so hopefully easy points for someone.

• Kyle!vitoolkit.jpg|thumbnail=true!

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

A little tirate but I'll take it in stride Smiley Happy I actually did read through that help command, looked through the forum pages, and I tried that set_executionpolicy command as well before I posted, I got this output:

Run it elevated and you'll be fine.

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse, just thought this would maybe give me something to play around with and get my feet wet with powershell. Maybe a bit too far of a leep and need to start with something else before going to vitoolkit.

No no no not at all. You'll be fine, and we're here to help. I just wanted to make the point that code signing is an important security feature. It's super easy to do powerful stuff with the vitk and I assume its relevant to what you do so it'll make an immediate impact on you. I'd start by playing around with the various "get" cmdlets. Type this to see them all:

get-command -pssnapin vmware* -verb get

Don't forget, you first have to start off with "get-viserver " before using any of these. That connection is persistent for about 30 minutes of idle time if I recall correctly.

Hal Rottenberg

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Since it didn't insert my picture here it is

• Kyle

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Enter the following and you should be able to execute scripts

<pre>
Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
</pre>

You better do this from the Windows PowerShell prompt, that way your VI Toolkit prompt will start without a problem.

PS: Keith Hill's series on Effective PowerShell is a good intro to PowerShell.

There are other discussion in this community that give pointers to good PowerShell intros.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

And I hope this doesn't sound trite but you really should do what the error says and read "get-help about_signing". It's pretty important stuff you ought to have at least have a high-level grasp of.

Hal Rottenberg

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A little tirate but I'll take it in stride Smiley Happy I actually did read through that help command, looked through the forum pages, and I tried that set_executionpolicy command as well before I posted, I got this output:

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse, just thought this would maybe give me something to play around with and get my feet wet with powershell. Maybe a bit too far of a leep and need to start with something else before going to vitoolkit.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Run it elevated and you'll be fine.

No no no not at all. You'll be fine, and we're here to help. I just wanted to make the point that code signing is an important security feature. It's super easy to do powerful stuff with the vitk and I assume its relevant to what you do so it'll make an immediate impact on you. I'd start by playing around with the various "get" cmdlets. Type this to see them all:

get-command -pssnapin vmware* -verb get

Don't forget, you first have to start off with "get-viserver " before using any of these. That connection is persistent for about 30 minutes of idle time if I recall correctly.

Hal Rottenberg

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thank you, gotta love vista and having to run it as administrator. that is a lot of commands i guess it'll keep me busy for a while. appreciate it

• Kyle

0 Kudos