VMware Cloud Community
etcheverri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Getting montly cpu contention value?

Hi guys , i am fairly new with powercli , i am trying to get montly value of cpu contention, by my understanding  with this script  (get the script from this forum) i get the average of today (maybe i am wrong):

$Cluster = 'clustername'

$stat = 'cpu.latency.average'

$CPU_contention = (Get-Stat -Entity $esx -Stat $stat -Realtime -MaxSamples 1 | Measure-Object -Property Value -Average).Average

$CPU_contention='{0:N1}' -f $CPU_contention -replace ",","."

$CPU_contention

i think i must replace  -Realtime for -Interval 7200 to get Historical Interval 3  , but i get the error that the hosts of the cluster doesen't have the cited statistics.

any hint , will be welcome

Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct that Realtime doesn't get you the statistical data further back than approx 1 hour.
For going back one month you would be looking at indeed at Historical Interval 3.
But then the availability of the metrics depends on the Statistics Levels you have specified on your vCenter.

For the cpu.latency.average metric the required Statistic Levels are 2 or 3, where 2 only keeps the average and 3 also keeps the minimum and maximum.

Check the Statistics Level for Historical Interval 3 on your vCenter, it should at least be set to 2.

$si = Get-View ServiceInstance

$perfMgr = Get-View -Id $si.Content.PerfManager

$perfMgr.HistoricalInterval

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are correct that Realtime doesn't get you the statistical data further back than approx 1 hour.
For going back one month you would be looking at indeed at Historical Interval 3.
But then the availability of the metrics depends on the Statistics Levels you have specified on your vCenter.

For the cpu.latency.average metric the required Statistic Levels are 2 or 3, where 2 only keeps the average and 3 also keeps the minimum and maximum.

Check the Statistics Level for Historical Interval 3 on your vCenter, it should at least be set to 2.

$si = Get-View ServiceInstance

$perfMgr = Get-View -Id $si.Content.PerfManager

$perfMgr.HistoricalInterval

0 Kudos
etcheverri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LuckD thank you for the quickest response ever...(just awesome!)

i run the script  and i get that:

Key            : 1

SamplingPeriod : 300

Name           : Past day

Length         : 86400

Level          : 1

Enabled        : True

Key            : 2

SamplingPeriod : 1800

Name           : Past week

Length         : 604800

Key            : 3

SamplingPeriod : 7200

Name           : Past month

Length         : 2592000

Key            : 4

SamplingPeriod : 86400

Name           : Past year

Length         : 31536000

I guess that means that the vcenter only has statistics level 1 on all Historical Intervals ....:-(

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is correct.
You can check always which metrics are available with the Get-StatType cmdlet, and specifying the Interval and a sample Entity.