VMware Cloud Community
internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

Getting SDRS enabled.

I keep getting the message "SDRS Cannot perform vmotion becuase SDRS is disabled on this machine" errors.

Is there a powershell command to turn SDRS ON (like under the datastore cluster, Default Fully Automated Setting) for all machines and to disable the "Keep VMDK's together" setting?

I've found a resource that disables the default setting for the datastore cluster, but id like to go back and recursively apply the settings for specific VM's

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can configure a datastoreclusterwith the Set-DatastoreCluster cmdlet, the SDRSAutomationLevel  parameter lets you specify the FullyAutomated setting.

But for finer control, you will have to use one of the API methods for now.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

Only problem with that is it sets the "Default" not the current state as far as i know.

Can i set the current state for each VM with that tool? I have not found a way to do it.

0 Kudos
internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

On another note, in the same view, how do i DISABLE "Keep vmdks together" setting for each vm?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

To disable the IntraVmAffinity per VM on the datastorecluster, you'll have to use the ConfigureStorageDrsForPod method.

Something like this

$dscName = "MyDSC"

$dsc = Get-DatastoreCluster -Name $dscName

$srm = Get-View StorageResourceManager

$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.StorageDrsConfigSpec

Get-VM -Datastore $dsc | %{

$vmEntry = New-Object VMware.Vim.StorageDrsVmConfigSpec

$vmEntry.Operation = "edit"

$vmEntry.Info = New-Object VMware.Vim.StorageDrsVmConfigInfo

$vmEntry.Info.IntraVmAffinity = $false

$vmEntry.Info.Vm = $_.ExtensionData.MoRef

$spec.vmConfigSpec += $vmEntry
}

$srm.ConfigureStorageDrsForPod($dsc.ExtensionData.MoRef, $spec, $true)

Simlarly, to disable the intr-VM affinity rule, you can do

$dscName = "MyDSC"
$modify = $true

$dsc = Get-DatastoreCluster -Name $dscName

$srm = Get-View StorageResourceManager

$spec = New-Object VMware.Vim.StorageDrsConfigSpec

Get-VM -Datastore $dsc | %{

$vmEntry = New-Object VMware.Vim.StorageDrsVmConfigSpec

$vmEntry.Operation = "edit"

$vmEntry.Info = New-Object VMware.Vim.StorageDrsVmConfigInfo

$vmEntry.Info.IntraVmAffinity = $false

$vmEntry.Info.Behavior = [VMware.Vim.StorageDrsPodConfigInfoBehavior]::automated

$vmEntry.Info.Vm = $_.ExtensionData.MoRef

$spec.vmConfigSpec += $vmEntry
}

$srm.ConfigureStorageDrsForPod($dsc.ExtensionData.MoRef, $spec, $modify)

internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

Which turns the VM to "FULLY AUTOMATED" in the sdrs settings?    

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

In my sample script, yes.

But you can change the value you assign to the Info.Behavior property.

See StorageDrsPodConfigInfoBehavior

0 Kudos
internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

Will test this to see if it works, sorry for the delay. Will update whether or not the answer is correct shortly

0 Kudos
internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

Doesnt work. Each new drive added to the VM still attempts to do the VMDK together option and forks up the script.

Checking the clusters i see:

Get-DatastoreCluster | Select Name, @{N="DefaultIntraVmAffinity";E={($_ | Get-View).PodStorageDRSEntry.StorageDRSConfig.PodConfig.DefaultIntraVmAffinity}}

Name                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 DefaultIntraVmAffinity
----                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ----------------------
055_Autonomy_Main                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     False
055_VSP_NoSDRS-2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             False
055_VSP_NoSDRS-3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             False
055_VSP_NoSDRS-4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             False
055_VSP_NoSDRS-5                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             False
055_VSP_NoSDRS-6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             False
055_VSP_NoSDRS-7                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             False
055_VSP_NoSDRS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               False

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry confused, are you in fact looking to have VMDK anti-affinity rules generated ?

vmdk-aa.png

0 Kudos
internetrush1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking to have the SDRS cluster NOT apply the KEEP VMDKS TOGETHER whenever a new drive is added to the cluster.

Despite having disabling the vmintraaffinity (see above) it still reverts "Keep VMDKS together" when the VM is added on to.

0 Kudos
matcmac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I know it's been a while since you post, but have you found a solution?

I searched the web on and on and I found nothing about that. I am also looking for a solution to set up "Don't Keep VMDKs together" by default on all Datastore Cluster.

Thank you,

0 Kudos