VMware Cloud Community
dougtl
Contributor
Contributor

Get the original hardware configuration of Virtual Machine

Hi,

I need to check the hardware configuration when a virtual machine was created. (the original hardware configuration of a VM.

Anyone can help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

In theory that should be possible.

Get the current config and then, working backwards, get all the HW changes to the VM until you reach the VM creation event.

See also the recent thread Hardware changes with PowerCLI.

But the problem is that not all the HW changes produce such an event :smileycry:

So, no afaik that is impossible in practice I'm afraid.

Don't you have a backup that was taken when the VM  was created ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
dougtl
Contributor
Contributor

i don't have a backup. =/

the script captured only a few hardware-changing events. not at all.

it is possible to access that kind of information through the SQL database of the vCenter server?

thanks again.

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander

I'm afraid LucD put the nail in the proverbial coffin on this one: because not every modification generates an associated event, it is not possible to reliablt capture all of the changes since creation.  At best, if all of your changes record events, your audit would show all of the changes.  Because you can't guarantee 100% completeness, however, your report would be of questionable value from a true auditing perspective.

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
dougtl
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately, the script of auditing didn't record all the events that i need.

the database of vcenter keeps some information about the creation of machines and modifications??

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik it doesn't. Smiley Sad

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos