VMware Cloud Community
burvil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Get list of plugins and versions installed from vCenter?

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to use PowerCLI to get a list of plugins installed in vCenter, their versions and any other information associated with those plugins?  I found Get-vCenterPlugin, per http://www.jonathanmedd.net/2012/02/managing-vcenter-plugins-with-powercli.html​, but that doesn't seem to work for me in PowerCLI 6.0 Release 1.  Anybody know what I can use instead?  Or am I missing something with Get-vCenterPlugin?

7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try this

$extMgr = Get-View ExtensionManager

$extMgr.ExtensionList |

select @{N='Name';E={$_.Description.Label}},Version,Company

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
burvil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  That works.  To refine it into one line, I'd think I could do something like

Get-View ExtensionManager | Where-Object Name -like "*ExtensionList*" | select @{N='Name';E={$_.Description.Label}},Version,Company

to make it into one line?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Try like this

Get-View ExtensionManager |Select -ExpandProperty ExtensionList | select @{N='Name';E={$_.Description.Label}},Version,Company

divyath
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the post! This helped to pull the available plugins.

But if we need to know the state of plugin as in whether enabled/disabled, how can we check the status? Please suggest.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Although this thread mentions plugins, it is in fact all about Extensions, not Plugins.

The plugins are, afaik, done through the Web Client API (which I know little or nothing about I'm afraid)

0 Kudos
divyath
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LucD!

I'm looking to get client plugins installed and their status.

Can you recommend the best approach.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid not.
You could check in the Web Client Programming Guide but personally I have no experience with those API.

0 Kudos