VMware Cloud Community
nullvector
Contributor
Contributor

Get current (live) statistics?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the PowerCLI utility, and I'm noticing a lot of references in sample scripts for cpu.usage.average, cpu.usage.maximum, and cpu.usage.minimum. I've figured out a few scripts using those statistics, but I'm looking for something a little more Realtime.

Is there a way to pull Realtime CPU/Memory/Network statistics from all hosts and/or VMs in vCenter using PowerCLI (or any other scriptable method?). I'd like to take this data and feed it into Dashing to integrate App server data with Oracle database data that we already have semi-working through OEM.  (Dashing - The exceptionally handsome dashboard framework.)

Thanks for helping!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

With the Get-Stat cmdlet you can also fetch Realtime statistics.

The sample interval in that case is 20 seconds.

Another option is to use the Get-Esxtop cmdlet, that will you data in 5 second intervals.

But the use of that cmdlet is not really for the faint of hearth imho :smileygrin:

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

nullvector
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks LucD,

So far I've got this:

Get-VMHost | Get-Stat  -Stat cpu.usage.average -MaxSamples 1 -IntervalMins 5 -Realtime | foreach { $_.Value } | Measure-Object -Average | select Average | Format-Table -HideTableHeaders

That works, but it looks like it gives me CPU average for all CPU's across all hosts. Is there an easy way to feed that Get-VMhost to a foreach so that it runs that Get-Stat section for each host?

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The way I would do this is to call Get-Stat for all the hosts (like you did).

But then use a Group-Object cmdlet on the result, and thus split it up in an object per host.

You'll find an example of that in my PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 2 – Come together post.

Note, if you ask for Realtime, don't specify the IntervalMins parameter as well

0 Kudos
nullvector
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so here's what I've got now...

Get-VMHost | foreach-object {$x=(Get-Stat -Entity $_.name -Stat cpu.usage.average -MaxSamples 1 -Realtime | foreach { $_.Value } | Measure-Object -Average | select Average | Format-Table -HideTableHeaders);echo $_.name $X}

That's pretty functional I think...

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, that will work.

But you are still calling Get-Stat once for each ESXi host.

That could be quite time-consuming in a bigger environment.

0 Kudos