VMware Cloud Community
Cathednet
Contributor
Contributor

Get-VirtualSwitch not returning anything

I use the following command:

Get-VirtualSwitch -VMHost (IP or FQDN of ESX host)

And get nothing, no errors, just the command prompt again.

Btw, I have no standard switches, just a Cisco Nexus 1kV distributed swtich, I've already tried with the -distributed option.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Works for me, but then I have no Nexus switch, only the VMware provided dvSwitch.

No error messages at all ?

Could be a problem with the Nexus dvSwitch only.

You are on PowerCLI 4.1 U1 ?

You must be, otherwise the -Distributed switch would have caused an error. But just to make sure.

Get-PowerCLIVersion

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
geirsjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have done the same observation. I posted a question yesterday asking for experience regarding PowerCLI and Nexus 1000v. No answers yet :-(. I have also opened a support request with Vmware. If get some answers I let you know.

/Gekken

0 Kudos
ykalchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Get-VirtualSwitch supports only VMwareDistributedSwitch for now. We'll consider supporting other distributed switches as Nexus 1000 in the future releases.

Still you can use

Get-View -ViewType DistributedSwitch

to retrieve all distributed switches including Nexus 1000 but Get-VIObjectByVIView won't work also.

Regards,

Yasen Kalchev

PowerCLI Dev Team

Yasen Kalchev, vSM Dev Team
0 Kudos
Cathednet
Contributor
Contributor

The reason why I need to use that command at all is because I'm trying to automate creating a vmkernel port for NFS.

Will New-VMHostNetworkAdapter work with the Nexus 1k? If so, how do I specify the required vDS parameter?

0 Kudos